2011 YZ450 NEWB QUESTION..OIL LEAKING @ OIL FILTER?

6 replies to this topic
  • stillentt

Posted January 29, 2013 - 04:20 PM

i've just purchased a like new 11' 450F and doing my first oil change.

Followed all the directions here ( )
Drained the oil, replaced oil filter, closed everything up, added 1L of oil and everything went smooth. After a quick spin around the block i parked it in my garage and noticed that oil appears to be leaking slightly from the cover where the oil filter lives. I've got it cranked down tight, but I'm not sure whats causing this ?

My apologies for not knowing ANYTHING about how these bikes work, but I guess that why I'm on here trying to get learned. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

• DC_Excitement

Posted January 29, 2013 - 04:33 PM

the oil filter cover seal probably toar when you installed the cover, i keep a couple in stock for this matter

Edited by davecarrr414, January 29, 2013 - 04:33 PM.

• stillentt

Posted January 29, 2013 - 04:54 PM

Makes sense. So is it possible to replace the seal without losing a ton of oil or am I esssentially going to have to reload another quart or so into the bike after I open up the oil filter door?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 29, 2013 - 06:51 PM

If you lay it on its side, you won't lose more than a teaspoon, but even if you do the job with it standing straight up, you'll only drop about 90-100cc.

You may have misplaced or damaged the seal, but it's also possible that the only thing happening is that the oil you left on the cover flange is running out from under it.

• tomjoens

Posted January 29, 2013 - 07:29 PM

Replace with 1 qt and your fine?

• stillentt

Posted January 29, 2013 - 08:27 PM

Gotcha! Guess I'll get a new seal and see what it looks like after I replace it. I kicked started it tonight and after running for just about 10 seconds I had a small pool directly below the oil filter cover so I think the seal is torn.

Another newb question: When checking the oil level using the site glass window after warming the bike up for a few minutes, should the level be in the middle of the window? I guess I'm really asking so I know HOW MUCH oil to add back in after I replace the seal...

THANKS SO MUCH for the input here!

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 30, 2013 - 08:31 AM

Middle of window. Also when I tighten up the two bolts on the filter cover I tighten them finger tight first and then go back an forth a little at a time till they are fully tighten. I do not tighten one bolt and then tighten the other one.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.