msr raptor lever

7 replies to this topic
  • nvrlift

Posted November 04, 2001 - 07:00 PM

in all of my catalogs, the msr raptor perch and clutch lever assembly says "will not fit yz 426" but i have heard of people using them. what is the truth and what does it take to make one fit?

Posted November 04, 2001 - 07:40 PM

i put one on my 426 last year... took it off in about 3 rides... didnt like the lever shape & the feel it gave of my clutch in the "easy" position... decided just to keep my clutch cable lubed up

• kfrosty

Posted November 05, 2001 - 03:18 AM

I just installed one a week ago. Noticed a big difference while riding the bike. I really like it. They do have two levers. Conventional and shorty. As far as it not fitting, I'm not sure why they would say that. The perch is condusive to the handlebars. I did have to get a set of pliers to get the cable in the easiest setting but wasn't too bad. If you want to buy it, purchase it at a store that will let you return it if you can't get it to work.

• Dave_S

Posted November 05, 2001 - 05:11 AM

I have been using the raptor in the 'easy pull' position for about 4 months.

I just put the stocker back on last week. The raptor made the pull much easier but it lengthened the travel too much for me and I had to pull the lever nearly to the bar in order to disengage the clutch. I put the stocker back on so I can clutch/brake tap in the air easier.

Dave S

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bbeakley

Posted November 05, 2001 - 07:14 AM

DaveS, did you change the cable adjuster that's mounted on the engine casing to try and get your clutch pull out where you like it? I recently bought one of these levers and I'm at a point where I can't get the clutch to disengage, even pulled in all the way. I'm still trying to fiddle with both adjusters to get it work cuz I really like the easier pull option (but I won't use it if I have to use all 4 fingers and pull it to 'til it touches the bar).

Posted November 05, 2001 - 07:57 AM

thats the issue i had... the lever almost had to be at the bar to disengage the clutch.

you might want to try the yamaha XT lever or whatever it is.. it has a improved leverage ratio ..

go to yamahas site & look at dirt bike accessories... its pretty cheap too

• Dave_S

Posted November 06, 2001 - 10:14 PM

I installed the Raptor in about 5 minutes, the only adjustments I had to make were with adjuster on the perch.

If I set the free play to almost nothing, I could disengage the clutch with my two smallest fingers still on the bars but as the clutch heats up / wears it just wouldnt work reliably without pulling the lever to the bar. Thats why I ditched it.

Definately reduces the pull though.

I am fine with the stock lever now but if I wasnt I would either try the cr lever or cut and extend the actuating arm on the other end of the cable for a slightly increased mechanical advantage.

In anycase, keep the cable clean and lubed and DONT hit it with the power washer water will cause rust and corrosion inside the housing that will make your pull VERY HARD.

Dave S

• tuck

Posted November 06, 2001 - 10:58 PM

I run a CR reduced pull lever (they say 30%)available from Mr.X 800-536-6680 it comes with perch,I use a Pro-Circuit E-Z adjust; expensive but sweet. I also lube the cable every ride.
I have had 125 guy's marvel at how light my clutch pull is. My 426 will also start in gear with this setup. I compared it to a magura last weekend and thought my pull was lighter.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.