less than #42 pilot ?

4 replies to this topic
  • dicko450

Posted January 24, 2013 - 08:21 PM

Hi guys, I'm tuning the pilot jet on my 08 WR450 and I'm currently down to a #42 and it still won't die when I turn the fuel screw all the way in. Is anyone running less than a #42 pilot, from what I've seen #45 to #48 is the norm ?
I pulled the fuel screw out and an o-ring has perished on it but it's the one on the bottom near the knob end so I'm thinking that shouldn't affect it ?
Float height has been set to spec from manual, any clues ? Thanks.

• MANIAC998

Posted January 25, 2013 - 04:22 AM

There should be only one rubber o-ring on the air/fuel screw. And yes, if it's damaged, it will affect performance.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dicko450

Posted January 25, 2013 - 06:33 AM

This is an aftermarket fuel screw that has two o-rings, one in the usual place above the spring and another one ( the one that has cracked ) at the other end ( closer to the adjusting knob ) which I think is just there to stop vibration of the fuel screw.
Have you heard of anyone using a pilot jet smaller than #42 ?

Edited by dicko450, January 25, 2013 - 06:35 AM.

• William1

Posted January 25, 2013 - 11:42 AM

I have heard of people needling a piolt as small as a 38. This is because the after market alloy fuel screw tip is poorly formed or too small, causing the circuit to be too rich, resolved with a smaller than normal pilot. It can also be caused by a float that is too high or a leaking float needle seat (or a few other obscure items).

• dicko450

Posted January 25, 2013 - 06:04 PM

Okay thanks William, float height has been set so should be okay.
I've got a flex jet fuel screw coming so I'll see if that helps. Thanks for the reply.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.