Went from perfect to dead...HELP!

10 replies to this topic
  • NearlyGone85

Posted January 23, 2013 - 07:48 PM

Hey guys! My name is Chris and I just stumbled onto your forum while trying to find out what is wrong with my bike. There seems to be a lot of people that know what they are talking about so I thought I would see if I could get some help.

I have a 2002 WR426 with the hotcam and rekluse clutch setup. I took it out on Sunday and it ran like a dream all day. I took it over to a friends house so he could compare it to his 450 and he turned the corner, gave it some gas (nothing terrible) and died. It sputtered to a stop and was dead. It was starting on the first kick every time, but now it doesn't even attempt to start. It has compression, spark, and I sprayed starting fluid down the pipe to make sure it wasn't a fuel problem...NOTHING! I changed out the spark plug just in case. No matter how many times kick it, it does not even come close to starting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since I have exhausted all of the problems I could think of. Maybe there is some trick to a WR that I am unaware of. Like, maybe a secret "fixed" switch hidden somewhere.

Thank you very much for any help in advance.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 23, 2013 - 08:09 PM

When was the last time you checked the valve clearances, or did a valve upgrade?

• Thommo_400f

Posted January 24, 2013 - 01:44 AM

I would say a big lump of crap has blocked something in your carb pilot /main jets.

• kawi380

Posted January 24, 2013 - 04:41 AM

I would lean more towards electrical like the kickstand switch or the clutch switch.

• Steve rob

Posted January 24, 2013 - 05:49 AM

Having the same problem with my wr450f mate stuck my self

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted January 24, 2013 - 12:57 PM

Valve issue.

• Thommo_400f

Posted January 24, 2013 - 03:36 PM

Well... in my experience here so far, Krannie and William are usually right!
Good luck.

• L. Euler

Posted January 24, 2013 - 07:36 PM

I'm leaning to valves also. May have one stuck open. Do you get compression and flow out the exhaust when you kick it? Upon slightly sticking open while running, the piston could generate enough compression to sputter to a stop, but you'll never get it started again. Been there.

Edited by GammaFunction, January 24, 2013 - 07:38 PM.

• mitch748

Posted January 27, 2013 - 07:28 AM

Hi, I just had very similar issue. Turned out the cam chain had slipped a few teeth on the intake cam. My tensioner had got stuck with the chain loose! Might be worth checking, I had been completely stumped too.

• crooks420

Posted January 27, 2013 - 10:14 AM

First check the easy stuff; If you have a multi meter, you can check out the electrical items easily (like coil, reg/rectifier, relays and switches and fuses if any). Make sure fuel flows from the petcock. Check kill switch, kickstand,clutch switches too if youi have them. Check the on/off button. Are all the ground points making good contact?
Move onto the more involved things if you have not found the culprit yet.
You can check you valves,timing, pull and clean the carb.....

Take a methodical approach and you will find the problem.

Jesse

• MaxPower

Posted February 01, 2013 - 06:41 AM

Is your compression release cable free from hanging up

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.