WR450 TRANS

6 replies to this topic
  • crowboy15

Posted January 23, 2013 - 06:22 PM

Has anyone tried to put a wr450 trans in a 2010 and up yz 450?Thinking about a project bike. :thinking:

• eazrider

Posted January 23, 2013 - 07:29 PM

Yup, I put 4/5th in my 2010...Use parts from 2007 WR, Will need 4 gears, output shaft, as well as a different splined washer that holds one of the gears behind the circlip. I run a 13-52, plunk in the rocks, and still makes my eyes water on top end...

• grayracer513

Posted January 23, 2013 - 10:16 PM

If you want the full WR trans, including the lower low gear and the higher 5th, you'll need the complete trans. Both shafts are needed to do this because the low gear pinion is cut directly on the main shaft, and the splines under 4th gear on the output shaft are different.

What eazrider did was to install only the top two gears from the WR, which gives him 1-4 identical to the '04 4 speed with the WR 5th on top of it.

Either way, you can use your original shift cam and forks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crowboy15

Posted January 24, 2013 - 06:14 AM

Thanks Grayracer I have done this before in my 08yz450. Didn't know if the 10 and up were different. :ride:

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2013 - 10:21 AM

The 10+ had a change to gears 3 and 4 on the output shaft, and to the shaft itself, along with the washer mentioned, otherwise the rest is the same parts as the '06.

Thank eazrider, he was the Guinea pig on this one. :cheers:

• dereckb3

Posted January 24, 2013 - 04:52 PM

If you want the full WR trans, including the lower low gear and the higher 5th, you'll need the complete trans. Both shafts are needed to do this because the low gear pinion is cut directly on the main shaft, and the splines under 4th gear on the output shaft are different.

What eazrider did was to install only the top two gears from the WR, which gives him 1-4 identical to the '04 4 speed with the WR 5th on top of it.

Either way, you can use your original shift cam and forks.

Do you know if it is any different on a 04 yz450??

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2013 - 06:47 PM

Do you know if it is any different on a 04 yz450??

Completely different. With the 4 speed models, it's all or nothing. The whole trans from an earlier WR ('03-'06) can be used, but it has to be the whole thing:

http://www.thumperta...046#post2761046

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.