Freezing Outside: To Wash or Not to Wash

21 replies to this topic
  • Terp

Posted January 22, 2013 - 10:17 AM

...and it doesn't look like it'a going to warm up above freezing until Sunday. So do you wash your bike anyway or wait? In the old days when I had my RM80, the one where we guestimate fuel ratios, the answer would be clear. ;)
However, with the new ride, I am trying to balance the risk of the water freezing and expanding vs leaving dirt on the aluminum and chain...too close to call.

I keep going into the garage and starting the air compressor to blow it off right away, but I just can't pull the trigger on the hose in this cold. :)

Thoughts?

• Jeekinz

Posted January 22, 2013 - 11:29 AM

I use the DIY carwash when it's real cold.

• woods-rider

Posted January 22, 2013 - 11:33 AM

What are you afraid the expanding freezing water is going to hurt? It shouldn't get into any enclosed space where it would break something when expanding that I can think of.

Does it get below freezing in your garage? In your living room? lol.

• Terp

Posted January 22, 2013 - 11:47 AM

What are you afraid the expanding freezing water is going to hurt? It shouldn't get into any enclosed space where it would break something when expanding that I can think of.

Does it get below freezing in your garage? In your living room? lol.

I was thinking chain/o-rings/whathaveyou. :)

It wouldn't be out in the freezing weather for long, so guess I could put my big boy pants on and make it happen...use the compressor to blow dry it the best I can...run in the garage for a few to bring it up to temp, etc.

And so long as I don't make it a habit (and I won't...rarely freezing here in VA where I live), I assume a few days on the chain/frame/etc isn't going to start to pit it or do any real damage. I know, I know, it's just a dirt bike. ;)

• road less travelled

Posted January 22, 2013 - 11:54 AM

Hook up the hose to the bib on the bottom of the water heater, then blast around the block. Cold yes, my choke was frozen a little while ago when leaving for work, had to pop the air filter out and cover the intake with my hand to choke it...after I heated up my key with trusty zippo so ignition would turn.

• MichaelY

Posted January 22, 2013 - 12:00 PM

Wash it with track suit on ans then get hot shower lol

Wash it with track suit on ans then get hot shower lol

• samras121

Posted January 22, 2013 - 12:01 PM

Hook up the hose to the bib on the bottom of the water heater, then blast around the block. Cold yes, my choke was frozen a little while ago when leaving for work, had to pop the air filter out and cover the intake with my hand to choke it...after I heated up my key with trusty zippo so ignition would turn.

ride your bike year round and live in va.....where in va do you live?

• ADHDave

Posted January 22, 2013 - 12:03 PM

Hold the phone!!! Your supposed to wash your bikes? Mine has been covered in a few inches of mud since my last ride in november because its so damn cold. I dont think the freezing water will hurt anything, but its still god damn cold.

• Terp

Posted January 22, 2013 - 12:14 PM

ride your bike year round and live in va.....where in va do you live?

Fredericksburg...usually get a dusting or at most 3-6" a year (for a week). being close to the water, we don't get much...few weeks ago was high 60s. Gotta love 'global warming.' :)

When I rode yesterday it was like 50 something, but got home late and didn't expect the 40 degree swing.

• Terp

Posted January 22, 2013 - 12:16 PM

Hold the phone!!! Your supposed to wash your bikes? Mine has been covered in a few inches of mud since my last ride in november because its so damn cold. I dont think the freezing water will hurt anything, but its still god damn cold.

I think I read in the manual that you are supposed to wash it for the first year, then semi-anually thereafter. :)

• William1

Posted January 22, 2013 - 12:35 PM

I wash my bike off no matter the temp. Use the compressor to blow it off then run it for a few minutes, slow ride up and down the drive. Once well heated, into the garage. At my place, the attached garage temp does not drop below 40 or so (NW of Richmond).

You can only properly maintain a clean bike.

• samras121

Posted January 22, 2013 - 01:01 PM

Fredericksburg...usually get a dusting or at most 3-6" a year (for a week). being close to the water, we don't get much...few weeks ago was high 60s. Gotta love 'global warming.' :)

When I rode yesterday it was like 50 something, but got home late and didn't expect the 40 degree swing.

yeah im in annapolis its pretty much the same. i have a buddy who lives in va that also rides year round...

• Terp

Posted January 23, 2013 - 02:42 PM

Note to self: I will no longer wash my bike when temp < 32 degrees, forming instant icicles. The dry dirt will sit there for a few days until warmer weather... :)

• MrN2OBelvedere

Posted January 23, 2013 - 05:31 PM

Better be sure to stay away from mud puddles while you are riding as well.

Unless it is dangerously cold outside (dangerous for you not the bike), I think washing your bike is a good idea.

• JCMINIS

Posted January 23, 2013 - 05:38 PM

In freeezing temps (garage has no heat) I wash, then blow it dry with the leaf blower.......My wife thinks im retarded......

• cantwait

Posted January 23, 2013 - 06:12 PM

I've washed before in below freezing. It sucks but I was selling the bike, otherwise it would've stayed dirty for a few more days until it warmed up a little. Shouldn't hurt anything...

• RedBlack

Posted January 24, 2013 - 03:02 AM

Drying with a leaf blower is an excellent way to dry it. Cold or hot. I use it on my black truck too!

.....yea you'll get some odd looks but it's quick and efficient.

Hot water is the ticket. If its seriously cold, to prevent the threat of frost bike (bike MUST be clean before being in garage!!), put rubber gloves on over insulated gloves, and wash away with hot water. Everything is tougher in the winter but it must be done!!

• godov

Posted January 24, 2013 - 04:19 AM

Yeah, wash it with the bike running and then take it inside where you usually store it.

I really don't see a problem!

• ickfinger

Posted January 24, 2013 - 06:38 AM

The solution is faster and simpler than anything previosly suggested.. Wash the bike as regular, then spray wd40( wd stands for water dispersant) in all places youre concerned with. It'll be fine

• Jeekinz

Posted January 24, 2013 - 06:41 AM

Posted Image

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.