08 450 restart Issue

1 reply to this topic
  • mark twiggs

Posted January 21, 2013 - 09:23 AM

I hope someone can point me in the right direction on how to solve this problem. Here are the details

Northern California 60 degrees
Altitude up to 1500'
168 main
48 pilot
stk leak
2 turns out air screw
FMF 95dba spark arrestor
06 cdi
60 hours on motor

The bike starts fine cold. When it is warm or hot if I crack the throttle 1/4 open it fires the first time, if it does not start on the first kick it could take me 10 kicks to get it going hot start does not matter. It will sometimes start if I hold the throttle wide open after a half dozen kicks. If it sets for 30 seconds or crack the throttle 1/4 it will start. I had it hicup(stall) 4 times in a race yesterday and took me forever to start it. In the pits 3 guys had to push me to get it going. It runs great.Nice to loose first place because it won't restart. I get no decel popping. I'm going to check the valves today. ANY IDEAS? I had a 45 pilot last week which made no difference.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2013 - 10:38 AM

The pilot looks rich, and the bike is acting as if it is, too. If it NEVER pops on decel, that's one indication it's too rich. When they're correctly jetted, they do that. Not excessive popping, just some.

Another clue is if the bike has a tendency to stall when the throttle is suddenly closed after being opened a quarter or more under load at low RPM. That happens because the rich pilot makes it "idle down" (transition from the main circuit to the pilot circuit) too quickly, letting the engine drop too far below idle speed.

Try a 43 or 45 pilot and re-trim it.

Never hurts to check the valves, too, but that's not what's causing this problem.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.