Top end valve train wear etc?

2 replies to this topic
  • Tankengine

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:54 AM

Hi i have just bought a wr 400, 2000 from a friend, i know the bikes history and it has ran around 8000 miles. The oil and filters have been changed regulary but any other other cheaks ie top end valve train cheaks were few and far between. so i have had a look and was very suprised to find the valve clearance was within spec and the shims are at the top end of the numbers within the range (175 to 186) cam lobes and bearings all good and within spec.the bike runs great and dose not burn oil the compresion is around the 150 mark so just a question about the longevity of parts in the top end realy , even though it has done a few miles the bike has not been thrashed and just used for green lane and light trail use, so any advise about this would be greatly apreciated. ps ive read a lot of threads on here and am a bit con fused as some people are saying change all parts regardless and others say its ok as long as the measurments are within spec ??

kind regards

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MANIAC998

Posted January 21, 2013 - 05:15 AM

The Yamaha engine is incredibly reliable if taken care of! And will last many, many thousands of miles with proper maintenance. If you change the oil regularly, and stay off of the rev-limiter, you won't have any issues reliability wise.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted January 25, 2013 - 05:07 PM

That is good advice,my 07 wr450 is rode every week dirt.Valves still in spec.BTR

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.