yz450f timing

2 replies to this topic
  • Chase Goodling

Posted January 19, 2013 - 02:55 PM

i just rebuilt my bike and we got to the lovely part of putting in back in time... timing chain starts to get tight and come up on the cam on the intake side and loose and starts to get on the gear properly when its on the exhaust side.... what could be my problem guys?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jnabuurs

Posted January 20, 2013 - 07:40 AM

I think your tensioner is not okay.

• grayracer513

Posted January 20, 2013 - 07:25 PM

The cam chain has to be installed with both cams out of the head, then placing the chain over each as you install it. If the chain won't do that and end up with slack, you have dropped a loop off the bottom of the crank gear, and you'll need to remove the flywheel, stator, and tensioner shoe to correct it.

The chain cannot be installed with the cams in place if they are correctly installed.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.