bridgestone battlaxe bt-016

8 replies to this topic
  • tassie jeeper

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

hey guys thinking of running these on my cafe racer has anyone run these what do u think of them?

http://www.bridgesto...tlax/bt016.html

• SteveKing84

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

Sounds like you are in the wrong forum.

• hjorth

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

I have also been thinking of making a thumper into a caferacer, think i will use a nx650 though.
But back to your question, bt016 is a really great tire, superb grip in both cold and warm conditions, and a tire with good confidence in corners, and feels very neutral.
I had used 2 sets of them on my previsius bike honda fireblade, I also had tryed contimotion and pilot sport, but like bt016 better.
But on a 133hp bike they dont last long, max 2500km.

• elsalvadorXR6

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

its been a long whike since I had my cb750 but THE tire for most cafes or semi cafes where the avons...forget the model...venoms or something...

I could lean that bike over till I hit the pgs big time...no chicken strips! great lasting tires and in my opinion better made the avons...

christian

• natey

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

I have also been thinking of making a thumper into a caferacer, think i will use a nx650 though.
But back to your question, bt016 is a really great tire, superb grip in both cold and warm conditions, and a tire with good confidence in corners, and feels very neutral.
I had used 2 sets of them on my previous bike honda fireblade, I also had tryed contimotion and pilot sport, but like bt016 better.
But on a 133hp bike they dont last long, max 2500km.

i also had BTO16s on my superhawk, but then discovered the Dunlop Q2s(190x55 on a 5.5 inch rim, specifed as the preferred rim for that size for this particular tire). On my 4th set now @ 3500-3800 miles(28 psi rear, 31psi front) and there is nothing I've run that can touch them in terms of contact patch size, predictability and sure-footedness. Incidentally, this is not an anomaly because Sport Rider mag also rated them tops in the recent tire test comparo and by a significant margin.

• tassie jeeper

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

thanks for the input guys iv read mixed reviews about their wear life from 2500 miles to 9000 miles i spose it depends on the bike riden and how u ride it im hoping with only 50'sh HP and equilevent torque i should be on the higher side of that margin thanks guys,

has anyone used these on a motard before?

• natey

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

thanks for the input guys iv read mixed reviews about their wear life from 2500 miles to 9000 miles i spose it depends on the bike riden and how u ride it im hoping with only 50'sh HP and equilevent torque i should be on the higher side of that margin thanks guys,

has anyone used these on a motard before?

I have a high torque sport bike as well as my XRL and get 3500-4500miles on each, so $270 dollars and $100 respectively gets me approx 8000 miles.

There are so many variables that influence tire wear, you could write a small book on it, but if you read reviews, you can get a general idea of how soft the rubber is for a particular tire. Take the extremes for example, hard tires like Mefos will wear twice + what soft tires like Shinkos will get you. The type of riding you do will affect tire wear but to a much lesser degree than the softness factor. Some opt for the best of both worlds, hard centers and soft sides if you can find them for a dual spot.

Basically, calculate the variables relative to straight, curves, lean angle, aggressive accel/decel, engine braking, air pressure, weight, weather temperature, etc., and match them with your pocket book together with how aggressively you ride on curves with on-coming traffic, guard rails, trees, etc., and the choice may become less complicated, at least in my case.

I choose soft sticky rubber like Shinkos and Q2s because this enables me to ride with the highest amount of grip for decel, accel, and lean. I also choose lower pressures for a larger contact patch/grip at lean, so i am willing to sacrifice longevity. In fact, i don't want too much longevity because rubber can only perform to the level I want with a minimum of heat cycles, so i want to replace them more often for the sake of safety and performance.

I only ride off road dirt trails minimally, so don't want big knobs. [size=4]Others use their bikes for transportation, commuting on freeways or straight highways, touring, etc., and need harder centers to withstand higher percentages of straight up riding. Off road is a different ball game and has a myriad of choices as well. [/size]

[size=4]So it becomes a highly personalized quest when you go looking for the ideal tire and hence one that requires being honest and accurate with yourself in terms of the type of riding you do, the premium you place on traction, and the money you have to spend. [/size]

• tassie jeeper

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

cheers natey i just wanted to make sure that anyone on here that had used them didnt have any bad experiences with them and if they did why.

i think they will be great for my needs as will have sticky sides and a medium center i do like to crank my bikes hard into the corners and it will be nice to have confidence in the softer tyre and still have the longevity of the firmer center.

i was 90% certain of running this tyre and after the feedback iv had i am now sure it is what i will run (provided i dont find something better by then) :thumbsup: :ride:

• tassie jeeper

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:04 AM

update i have been reading up some more and have read that the s20 has better dry/wet grip and supposedly last longer

http://www.bridgesto...attlax/s20.html

http://www.visordown...view/20314.html

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is this rod shot? 87 xr600r refresh by goneballistic

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  115 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L owner here. by chrisross

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • 15 replies
Forums
Photo

FMF Powerbomb vs HiFlo Headers by jevon.pearse

• 18 replies
Forums
Photo

poor man's xr650l: any reason not to put an xr650l motor into an xr600 frame? by goneballistic

• Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2008 Honda xr650L Re-Jetting after Exhaust Modifications by ManFug

• 4 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.