GAS IN CALI

7 replies to this topic
  • 426ER

Posted November 01, 2001 - 06:27 PM

HEY GUYS I KNOW THE QUE HAS COME UP ABOUT THE GAS 91 OCTAINE IN CALI.I NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE HELL BECAUSE THE GUYS AT MY LOCAL SHOP "WONT MENTION ANY NAMES" SAID DO NOT RUN RACE GAS.SO THEN I READ ON THIS GREAT SITE THAT ITS OK TO RUN CERTAIN TYPES OF GAS SO WHAT IS THE REAL LOW DOWN CAUSE I WANT TO KNOW IF IAM DOING ANY DAMAGE THAT I DONT KNOW OF TO MY 426 BY RUNNING 91 OCTAINE.THANKS GUYS YOUVE ALWAYS HELPED IN THE PAST KEEP UP THE GREAT JOB... :)

• MAD_POTTER

Posted November 01, 2001 - 10:05 PM

Yamaha designed the engine to run on 91 octane pump gas. I'm wondering what the oxygenated crap will do to my engine this winter here in Colorado. Anybody know?

• Glen_T

Posted November 02, 2001 - 06:41 AM

Hey 426ER,
I've had the same concerns, and I keep reading the manual that says 95 octane. The 92 seemed fine, but I've been afraid to try the 91 straight. Lately I've been mixing VP V-12 (I think) at about 50/50. You know, the old pour some of this then pour a little of that mix technique. I can't say that I notice a difference in performance and I'm afraid to try av-gas based on some of the stuff I've read. Bottom line, this bike is getting expensive. I bet we could run lighter fluid in the things and they would be just fine. As a note, a friend of mine runs 87 octane in his 00/426 and always has with no aparent problems. I don't advocate it though.

GLEN

• Husker_Mike

Posted November 02, 2001 - 07:48 AM

I've run 91 octane from my corner Mobil station all year long and have had zero problems (I live in Mission Viejo so I problably using the same stuff as you). I would only worry if the thing starts to detonate or ping under a load.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Amador

Posted November 02, 2001 - 10:38 PM

I've been ridding on 91 pump gas for 2 years now. Not one problem or complaint. Run it and ride it!

• eBayThumper

Posted November 02, 2001 - 02:54 PM

I've been running 50/50 mix of 110 and 91. No problems there but I met up with DaveJ and he's running straight pump gas here in CA and I have to admit...his bike runs better than mine. I think it's fine and as a matter of fact, after riding his bike, I'm going back to the pump gas...plus it's cheaper :)

Ride On...
J

• wwwired

Posted November 07, 2001 - 12:24 PM

If you're not experiencing knocking or pinging what's the point of wasting the cash on ANY race fuel.

I've only noticed slight pinging while in sand dunes and long hilly rides where you're really working the engine. I now throw in some Maxima Hi-Test octane booster before such rides, and I haven't had a problem since. An oz. per gallon raises the octane level 4 points.

• RichB

Posted November 07, 2001 - 05:15 PM

I live in Vegas and we get our gas from Cali via a pipeline. Just about all you can find here is 91 and the bike runs just fine on it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.