2002 wr426 loss of water

9 replies to this topic
  • Rodrigue

Posted January 16, 2013 - 10:05 AM

Hi I have a 2002 wr426 which i brought last year. In that time i have replaced just about everything as it came to me in pretty bad condition. unfortunately i did not check the water pump seals and whilst out in the hills last week the bike lost all its coolant. as it was a cold day and i was not far from home i rode it back. I have now removed the seal and ordered new seal, bearing and impeller shaft and given the bike new oil and filter.

is there anything else that i need to be checking in relation to the loss of water?

many thanks

• MANIAC998

Posted January 17, 2013 - 05:32 AM

I hope it was a short drive back home, and you took it easy. It's very easy to warp the head running without coolant.

• cwallershasta

Posted January 17, 2013 - 10:35 AM

I had an 02 yz 426 that I sold to a friend and he had to do the water pump seal in 2010 because of the same thing happened. But he did not have any further problems after wards.

• Rodrigue

Posted January 17, 2013 - 10:47 AM

Thanks guys, the seal is due any time so hopefully nothing else is damaged. I did run the bike a couple of days afterwards with new coolant in it and everything seemed ok it was only when it sat overnight did the fluid come out again. Maniac998 how will i tell if the head is warped without taking it off and measuring it?

Edited by Rodrigue, January 17, 2013 - 10:50 AM.

• mikewrf18

Posted January 17, 2013 - 11:03 AM

Thanks guys, the seal is due any time so hopefully nothing else is damaged. I did run the bike a couple of days afterwards with new coolant in it and everything seemed ok it was only when it sat overnight did the fluid come out again. Maniac998 how will i tell if the head is warped without taking it off and measuring it?

Leak, or coolant in oil. Change/check your oil. If you smell coolant, or it comes out milky colored, you have most likely warped the head. Also, white smoke from exhaust can be an idicator.

Edited by mikewrf18, January 17, 2013 - 11:09 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rodrigue

Posted January 17, 2013 - 11:23 AM

Mike, I have changed the oil and filter both were only about 5hrs old and had no contamination guess i will have put it together and take it out for a ride ^_^

I would feel a lot better if i could measure the coolant temp on the bike. The bike doesnt have any gauges and cant afford to splash out on a Trailtech has anyone fitted anything else that measures coolant temp?

• mikewrf18

Posted January 17, 2013 - 11:40 AM

Mike, I have changed the oil and filter both were only about 5hrs old and had no contamination guess i will have put it together and take it out for a ride ^_^

I would feel a lot better if i could measure the coolant temp on the bike. The bike doesnt have any gauges and cant afford to splash out on a Trailtech has anyone fitted anything else that measures coolant temp?

That's what I'm saying, after you make the repair, check the oil again after running it for a bit. Don't know any cheaper solutions for measuring the coolant temp, but you can purchase those adhesive temperature strips and place it on your head. (cylinder head of course! :smirk: ) It would give you an idea of how cool/hot the cooling system is working. Just a cheap idea. Never tried them.
Are you saying you can't identify where the coolant went? It could only go on the ground or in the engine. You would definately see it on your garage floor, or contaminated oil. :thinking:

Edited by mikewrf18, January 17, 2013 - 11:46 AM.

• Rodrigue

Posted January 17, 2013 - 01:27 PM

it definitely went on the garage floor :cry: it seems to have leaked past the seal, the impeller shaft had worn it through

• mikewrf18

Posted January 17, 2013 - 01:35 PM

it definitely went on the garage floor :cry: it seems to have leaked past the seal, the impeller shaft had worn it through

Ah, okay. :thumbsup:

• MANIAC998

Posted January 17, 2013 - 04:51 PM

Like Mike said, if you don't see the fluid sitting on the garage floor, or in the engine oil, then you should be good to go!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.