Ran, died, now won't start

13 replies to this topic
  • mitch748

Posted January 16, 2013 - 08:22 AM

Hi guys, I've been searching and I've read lots of different problems similar to mine, but none quite the same. I just bought a dual sported 2006 wr450 last week ( showing 7000 km) which seemed to run super sweet in the guys garage. Got her home and did the usual clean, move controls stuff. Went to change the oil (strp by step with the manual) and discovered only about 200 ml came out. Refilled with the right amount and the level looks fine on the dipstick. Started super easy off the button, so decided to take her for a spin. First 2km perfectly ok going slow on snow to get to the main road. On the main road up to 80kmph felt great, then died about 2 mins later and I had to push it home. Felt like i'd run put of gas, no noises, just died. So far I've checked that gas is getting to the carb, the carb bowl is filling, and that I'm getting a spark. Anyone have any thoughts before I start pulling this potential lemon apart?

• mitch748

Posted January 16, 2013 - 08:26 AM

Oh, and, it turns over fine off the button and feels like the compression when I try kicking. Tried it again after a few hours and still turning but not firing.

• beezer

Posted January 16, 2013 - 08:44 AM

The pilot jet is prolly clogged. It's always the first thing I check.

You can get to the pilot jet by going through the bottom of the float bowl.

No need to take the carb off.

I lay a small mirror on the cases so I can see what I'm doing.

• Bandit9

Posted January 16, 2013 - 05:00 PM

Did it stall when you let off the throttle or when you were giving it throttle?

I think it is the pilot.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 16, 2013 - 08:50 PM

The pilot jet only affects the idle circuit.

If it's clogged, it's now very lean. Pull the choke to compensate.

If the motor is getting gas, and you have been trying to start it, the exhaust exit will smell like gas (flooded).

If the carb is getting gas, but the motor isn't, you need to pull the bowl off and have a look to see what's wrong (float stuck all the way up for example)

• mitch748

Posted January 16, 2013 - 09:15 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. OK, so, the update is: just installed a jd jet kit as this was on my to do list anyway and came with a pilot. Still the same, turning over and not making any attempt to fire? Looks like i'm gonna have to take the carb completely off and give it a good check over (i shouldve done this when fitting the jd kit, but i was hoping luck was maybe on my side?????). Doesnt smell like its flooding, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed that its the carb.

It stalled when i was just maintaining a steady throttle at at 80kmph on a level road..

Edited by mitch748, January 16, 2013 - 09:18 PM.

• miweber929

Posted January 17, 2013 - 04:49 AM

I know you said you changed the oil per the manual, but can you elaborate on that a bit? If only 200ml came out, and you refilled it to the top of the dipstick without starting it, I'm thinking something's not right with that.

Not saying that's your issue, but that's not the process as I know it (you have to run the bike to get the oil into the frame to circulate and level off whats in the motor and whats in the frame right) and I'm wondering if its over filled, not the first time that's happened here?

Unless I'm missing something......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mitch748

Posted January 17, 2013 - 05:45 AM

I mean there was only 200ml oil in it when I got it, it now has the correct amount in it. Don't know how long it had been getting used with hardly any oil in it.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 17, 2013 - 06:15 AM

I mean there was only 200ml oil in it when I got it, it now has the correct amount in it. Don't know how long it had been getting used with hardly any oil in it.

He was asking if you are sure you emptied the motor AND the frame sump of all it's oil, not just the motor.

• mitch748

Posted January 17, 2013 - 06:36 AM

I pulled every drain plug there was, so, as far as I can tell all the old oil came out. When I went to check the oil level, before I changed anything, after a 2 minute idle and within around 5 secs there was no sign if any oil at-all on the dipstick, so i'm as sure as I can be that it now has the correct amount if oil in it. I'd have thought if it was overfilled to that extent I'd have a hydrolic lock or at least oil coming out everywhere, and it wouldn't be spinning over so easy on the e starter.

• miweber929

Posted January 17, 2013 - 11:13 AM

He was asking if you are sure you emptied the motor AND the frame sump of all it's oil, not just the motor.

Yup, that was my question, sorry if it didn't come out right.

I pulled every drain plug there was, so, as far as I can tell all the old oil came out. When I went to check the oil level, before I changed anything, after a 2 minute idle and within around 5 secs there was no sign if any oil at-all on the dipstick, so i'm as sure as I can be that it now has the correct amount if oil in it. I'd have thought if it was overfilled to that extent I'd have a hydrolic lock or at least oil coming out everywhere, and it wouldn't be spinning over so easy on the e starter.

OK, just checking, sounds like you did it correct then. Process I've done is drain everything by pulling all the drain plugs, put plugs back in, put almost a full quart into the oil fill on the case, put fill plug back in, start the bike, run it a few minutes until it's nice and warm and the oil has had a chance to circulate, shut off bike, hold it upright and check the dipstick fairly quickly before the oil has a long chance to drain back into the engine. Then add to the frame to get it to the full mark with a tiny ass funnel. For me on my 04 it's usually exactly a quart.

How much oil did you put in? Bike should only take a quart to completely fill, maybe a tick more depending. If you put in much more than a quart, then drain out everything, only put in a quart and try it again.

I doubt this is the issue, it sounds more carb or electrical, but if you did grossly overfill you may be causing issues without it spewing oil (yet).

Does it start with a shot of starting fluid?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 17, 2013 - 11:45 AM

Not to be a dick, but you really should not put starting fluid into an FCR carb.
You can destroy the rubber o-rings, slide plate seal, and if you get carried away, the body seal gasket.

I would pull start it/bump start it and once running, determine the system that is at fault.

You know, it's possibly just a harness issue under the tank/seat.

• mitch748

Posted January 18, 2013 - 08:07 AM

So, I stripped the carb, cleaned out lots of silt kinda stuff, put in a new spark plug ans still no difference. Pulled the cam cover off and discovered the intake can had skipped about 6 notches on the chain. Further investigation showed a sticky tensioner shock I'm thinking maybe dried out with there hardly bring any oil in it before I bought the bike. I'll maybe put a manual tensioner on it. Anyone have an easy technique to switch the cam chain? Buttoned it all back up and it started and ran perfectly.

• Bandit9

Posted January 18, 2013 - 08:28 AM

Cool, you got it now.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.