2010 YZ450 Triple clamps

12 replies to this topic
  • mxaddict392

Posted January 15, 2013 - 06:44 PM

A friend of mine bought a 2012 KX450. I rode it once and didnt really like it. Then he put new 20 mm triple clamps on it and I couldnt believe how much better it turned. It really felt like I could go anywhere I wanted. I have a 2010 YZ450 and I want to improve the cornering. I've read about teh engine repositioning kits, radiator lowering kits, etc. But i havent read where anyone changed the triple clamps. Is that not a common mod? Does anyone have any experience with it? How does it compare to the engine repositioning kits (besides cost)?

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 15, 2013 - 08:26 PM

When I had my 06 yz450 I had a TAG triple clamp on it at the top but really couldn't tell much difference or if any. Seems like now with the newer model YZ's it's hard to find any triple clamp for them. Seems like they dont make any for a 2010 an up. Seems like when I was looking at some TAG clamps and Pro-Tapers they didnt seem to have any for em.

Applied might but would be kinda costly.

• rickallen124

Posted January 16, 2013 - 07:00 AM

General consensus is that different offset triple clamps don't help the handling on the new YZ450 but the engine relocation kit really does make a difference. Applied does make a 20mm offset clamp but initial tests with Enzos 24mm offset fork legs, back in late 2010, got better feedback from MXA and other test riders. I would like to try 24mm offset clamps if someone made them as the fork leg lugs cost $1,200.

• grayracer513

Posted January 16, 2013 - 07:50 AM

Changing the axle offset in the fork legs and changing the triple clamp offset both change the exact same dimension of the steering geometry in the same way. This is one reason that trying to buy clamp sets for CRF's is such a confused proposition. They've changed the axle offset a couple of times through the years.

All YZ/YZF's through '09 had 25mm offset clamps. The '10 and up use 22mm offsets. Testing with the '10+ has mostly shown very little positive effect to altering the clamp offset one way or other.

• rickallen124

Posted January 16, 2013 - 02:01 PM

I was interested in 24mm offset triple clamps, but no one has made them, as I had heard really good things about Enzo's 24mm offset fork lugs but didn't want to spend $1,200. I've done the engine relocation and that has made a huge difference.

• grayracer513

Posted January 16, 2013 - 03:55 PM

Until you know what the stock axle offset is, you don't know which way Enzo moved the axle. If you were to go from the stock 22mm clamp on a '10-'13 to a 24mm offset, you'd be moving the axle forward 2mm. Unusual, but not unheard of.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxbrewski

Posted January 16, 2013 - 04:08 PM

Maybe the 2009 triple clamps will fit the 2010-2013, it would be 25mm ofset but give you an idea of what it would be like. Just a thought.

• poppa

Posted January 16, 2013 - 05:14 PM

Changing the axle offset in the fork legs and changing the triple clamp offset both change the exact same dimension of the steering geometry in the same way. This is one reason that trying to buy clamp sets for CRF's is such a confused proposition. They've changed the axle offset a couple of times through the years.

All YZ/YZF's through '09 had 25mm offset clamps. The '10 and up use 22mm offsets. Testing with the '10+ has mostly shown very little positive effect to altering the clamp offset one way or other.

This would also change the ride height and wheel base, correct?

• mxaddict392

Posted January 16, 2013 - 09:06 PM

Ok thanks guys. I got my questions answered. I figured as much since I couldnt seem to find much on the subject of triple clamps.

• grayracer513

Posted January 17, 2013 - 07:56 AM

This would also change the ride height and wheel base, correct?

Technically, yes. Significantly, no. Assuming a 27 degree head angle, a 3mm change in axle or clamp offset will change the wheelbase 2.7mm, and the ride height by only 1.35mm. What changes significantly that affects handling is trail.

Read: http://www.thumperta...0/#entry3184395

• mwmx54

Posted January 20, 2013 - 12:06 PM

does anyone know if XX-09 yz/yzf triples fit 10+ yz450s? stock triples are cheap to come buy and would be a good way to experiment with different offsets.

• Jakobi

Posted November 05, 2014 - 06:44 PM

This is a big bump, but does anyone make a 24/25 offset clamp to be used with the newer KYBs (smaller upper clamp OD).

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 08, 2014 - 12:50 PM

You could use a pre 2010 tc and use a 1mm thick shim stock around the fork tubes.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.