2012/13 WR450 - Uncork

13 replies to this topic
  • 270winchester

Posted January 14, 2013 - 05:54 PM

What does the conventional wisdom say about uncorking these dudes? I'm not going to buy the competition ECU or muffler (at least not for a while)

I plan to:

1. Remove snorkel
2. cut throttle stop screw or install YZ450 screw
3. remove pipe insert or possibly install the Yamaha performance insert

anything else? What about the grey wire, is that still an applicable mod to the FI bikes?

What kind of range are you all seeing with the stock tank?

Thanks

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 14, 2013 - 07:40 PM

If you un-cork, you gotta re-map.

Easier to just get the GYT kit and be done with it.

• tomerb

Posted January 14, 2013 - 08:17 PM

No gray wire on the FI bikes.
I get about 40MPG on my 2012.
There lean from the factory and if you uncork it you'll be very lean.
You should be ok if you remove the limit screw only.
Go to a hardware store and get a 5mmX.75X8or10mm
If you want to uncork it get the ECU and GYTR Tuner!!

• miweber929

Posted January 15, 2013 - 05:41 AM

The ECU is like $99, I'd make 'em throw it in for free with the bike.

Edited by miweber929, January 15, 2013 - 05:41 AM.

• 270winchester

Posted January 15, 2013 - 05:36 PM

thanks for the responses.

I am not looking for a "bat out of hell" type ride so I may just keep the stock insert in the pipe and the snorkel on it for now. I will most definately cut the throttle stop screw though.

Have any of you run the comp ECU on the bike with the stock muffler (straw removed) and the airbox snorkel removed? If so, what map settings did you use and what's the ride like?

Also, anyone experimented with various fuels (e.g., VP, Avgas)? I just can't see running E10 ethynol in the thing.

• Lumberjack450

Posted January 15, 2013 - 07:24 PM

thanks for the responses.

I am not looking for a "bat out of hell" type ride so I may just keep the stock insert in the pipe and the snorkel on it for now. I will most definately cut the throttle stop screw though.

Have any of you run the comp ECU on the bike with the stock muffler (straw removed) and the airbox snorkel removed? If so, what map settings did you use and what's the ride like?

Also, anyone experimented with various fuels (e.g., VP, Avgas)? I just can't see running E10 ethynol in the thing.

I have. There are three suggested maps that come with the ECU for stock pipe. I preferred the Low end power map because it still revved out nice.

65 hours using 91 octane pump with ethanol, no problems or bogs ever noticed.

Once you get the GYTR or other ( I just got the power core 4 straight from FMF) it is a whole nother animal. Love it.

• cwallershasta

Posted January 17, 2013 - 10:55 AM

I get about fifty five to sixty miles out of the stock tank.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • supermega1

Posted January 18, 2013 - 04:59 PM

Comp ECU (FMF Map)
GYTR Exhaust
Throttle screw (comes with the comp ecu)
No airbox modifications (too dusty in the desert)
100 Octane "Racing" pump gas (yes I am spoiled)

Runs like a monster. Everyone that rides it first response is "yeah that doesn't need anymore power".

I ran it with the comp ecu and the modified stock exhaust for a while and it was good. But the GYTR exhaust just makes it a completely different bike. There is power everywhere in the power band.

• Chev450F

Posted July 02, 2014 - 02:06 AM

Hi all, good to see this topic going, i just recently brought a 2013 WR450F Australian version. For the 1st week ive rode around trying the bike with only the exuast insert changed to a offroad one supplyed with bike in a offroad kit. I was pretty sad at 1st haha at how slow this bike was stock. It wanted to open up then just splutter an gotta shift up or you go no where. Then after stacka reading from this site mainly i realized i had everything already to get the bike working like a bike should. So what i did was remove throttle stop screw an replaced with a short one. Then removed the snorkle from the airbox and connected the "Adapter" from my offroad kit. The adapter remaps the ecu an sets it at all 0's like a competition ecu would do. Now i could remap even further with a power tuner but havent got one yet. So the adapters connected, airbox snorkle gone and throttle stop screw changed + offroad exuast tip. By this stage i was so pumped just hanggggin to press the starter. So i popped it an 1st try started, straight away the bike was louder i reved it an it had full throttle and it reved so clean an powerful compared to before. Took it for a spin with stock sprockets an was now liffing front wheel easy 1st 2nd an 3rd gear. It truely feels 5 times faster than how the dealer sold it to me. Im so happy at how its running cold an hot starts no problem. The bike sounds like it can actually breath an get enough fuel now. I still ride on road but no way could i handle this bike at stock level anymore. Bikes done 280km since new. My only concern now is that is the bike running to lean? With all these hotups done... Ive noticed alot mention co2 lvl settings but generally only doing if they are hard starting???. Ive also noticed since all hotups the bikes idle seems a tad higher or its just the loudness haha, ill have to get the tuner an check that n report back. Im almost positive its raised slightly from this new set because idle can be high n take abit to lower when slowing to a stop. Im pretty fussy i guess but yeah have noticed this. The bike setup like this so far has been unreal compared to before. Honestly i couldnt see a can an remap taking it much further from here but will have to see. Ive got plans for a q4 with stock header an aussie map remap with tuner. Any info on best setups, Best fuel maps etc please post. Thanks all for all the info ive been able to get from here. Happy ridin an will post my updates reviews of what ive done. Cheers

• Toooldtooslow

Posted July 17, 2014 - 02:56 AM

Hi all, good to see this topic going, i just recently brought a 2013 WR450F Australian version. For the 1st week ive rode around trying the bike with only the exuast insert changed to a offroad one supplyed with bike in a offroad kit. I was pretty sad at 1st haha at how slow this bike was stock. It wanted to open up then just splutter an gotta shift up or you go no where. Then after stacka reading from this site mainly i realized i had everything already to get the bike working like a bike should. So what i did was remove throttle stop screw an replaced with a short one. Then removed the snorkle from the airbox and connected the "Adapter" from my offroad kit. The adapter remaps the ecu an sets it at all 0's like a competition ecu would do. Now i could remap even further with a power tuner but havent got one yet. So the adapters connected, airbox snorkle gone and throttle stop screw changed + offroad exuast tip. By this stage i was so pumped just hanggggin to press the starter. So i popped it an 1st try started, straight away the bike was louder i reved it an it had full throttle and it reved so clean an powerful compared to before. Took it for a spin with stock sprockets an was now liffing front wheel easy 1st 2nd an 3rd gear. It truely feels 5 times faster than how the dealer sold it to me. Im so happy at how its running cold an hot starts no problem. The bike sounds like it can actually breath an get enough fuel now. I still ride on road but no way could i handle this bike at stock level anymore. Bikes done 280km since new. My only concern now is that is the bike running to lean? With all these hotups done... Ive noticed alot mention co2 lvl settings but generally only doing if they are hard starting???. Ive also noticed since all hotups the bikes idle seems a tad higher or its just the loudness haha, ill have to get the tuner an check that n report back. Im almost positive its raised slightly from this new set because idle can be high n take abit to lower when slowing to a stop. Im pretty fussy i guess but yeah have noticed this. The bike setup like this so far has been unreal compared to before. Honestly i couldnt see a can an remap taking it much further from here but will have to see. Ive got plans for a q4 with stock header an aussie map remap with tuner. Any info on best setups, Best fuel maps etc please post. Thanks all for all the info ive been able to get from here. Happy ridin an will post my updates reviews of what ive done. Cheers

You make it sound like you cant turn the idle down, you do know that you can by just turning your fast idle button anti clockwise...right?

• Chev450F

Posted July 18, 2014 - 03:26 PM

Hi all, thanks for the reply toooldtoslow. I adjusted the idle very next day after the post just by ear. Few days later just to make sure it was spoton i went past the dealer i got it from and got them to put there taco on it. I was 100 rpm out by ear, not alot but happy its right now. Ive recently purchased the tuner as well for the beast and am looking at getting either a FMF GYTR powercore 4 or a FMF Q4 Hex. I still want to ride the bike to work when weathers good so im leaning towards the Q4 for lower sound levels. Any info on if its possible to get a way with using a GYTR fmf powercore 4 on street, or is it just gonna be way to loud. Im also looking for any info on best fuel maps to suit those 2 muffler slipons using stock header pipe. Cheers all

• Nuklhed

Posted July 18, 2014 - 06:55 PM

I have a 2014. I removed the snorkel in the airbox, put on the GYTR tip in the muffler, and bought the competition ECU.  I left it with the factory settings until I was riding around last night in the dark and saw the exhaust pipe glowing dull orange about 3 inches out from the cylinder head.  The head was not orange, nor the clamp holding the exhaust pipe to it.

Called the local shop--they told me that most/all modern 4T's do this, and that it's completely normal.  The material in the exhaust is thinner, resulting in greater heat transfer out of the metal.

But, I digress--I had them re-map with a version to give me a richer mixture (to cool it), and smoother throttle response off the low-end.  Before, it was really twitchy. 

It's somewhere between the two bottom maps on the GYTR/Yamaha programmer.  I haven't ridden it yet, but will tomorrow.  We'll see.

• cubera

Posted July 19, 2014 - 08:08 PM

The ECU is like $99, I'd make 'em throw it in for free with the bike.

Including the shorter throttle stop screw

• guru

Posted July 20, 2014 - 02:32 AM

"Any info on if its possible to get a way with using a GYTR fmf powercore 4 on street, or is it just gonna be way to loud. Im also looking for any info on best fuel maps to suit those 2 muffler slipons using stock header pipe. "

I run the Powercore 4 on the street and it is almost too loud. I love the power tho so no regrets. The FMF map works well but I softened it with a little less ignition advance on the lower end for tight NorCal woods.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.