Float Height YZ250

I'm buying a new needle valve but need to have my float re-set.

For the 2007 YZ250 the float height is supposed to be between 5-7.5mm. If you currently have a float that's too high, how do you lower it? I know you hafta bend the tang but which way when holding the carb upside down? Where is the best setting between this range for trail riding?

I think mine's too high because it leaks some fuel when descending hills and won't stay idling when descending mountain grades. :bonk:

You'd think I'd know this by now. :bonk:

I adjust to a best run set up..through trial an error. You bend the tab...and then measure..

Any method of measurement is fine for YOUR records...so long as it is repeatable and easy enough to do.

If it drips fuel...you have a problem (though steep enough hills will do that)

It's unclear to me what you mean by "a float thats too high". Too high when measuring the float height with the carb upside down (+7.5mm) or too high (refering to fuel level) with carb installed rightside up? Sounds like your looking to lower the fuel level in the bowl in an attemp to keep the fuel from leaking out the over flow. If thats the case you want to increase the float height dimension by bending the tang towards the needle and seat (away from the float arm).

• Like 1

It's unclear to me what you mean by "a float thats too high". Too high when measuring the float height with the carb upside down (+7.5mm) or too high (refering to fuel level) with carb installed rightside up? Sounds like your looking to lower the fuel level in the bowl in an attemp to keep the fuel from leaking out the over flow. If thats the case you want to increase the float height dimension by bending the tang towards the needle and seat (away from the float arm).

Thanks, gas for you. Er uh a portion of a stylish green dot I guess. Now I know what to do. I know which way to bend my tang now. :bonk:

Regarding the float height, would the float level have anything to do with my bike killing immediately after hitting the ground? I run a Rekluse and on my other bike it sits and runs for a long time when dropped. I have spent days on the air screw and idle. The bike runs awesome in every other aspect:confused: Sorry for the threadjack.

Regarding the float height, would the float level have anything to do with my bike killing immediately after hitting the ground? I run a Rekluse and on my other bike it sits and runs for a long time when dropped. I have spent days on the air screw and idle. The bike runs awesome in every other aspect:confused: Sorry for the threadjack.

Yes, yours could be too low. Not enough fuel when the float moves up from being on the ground. Hi-jack away. Put this thread under siege. There's no more bad gas to give so act inappropriately if you must. :bonk:

Yes, yours could be too low. Not enough fuel when the float moves up from being on the ground. Hi-jack away. Put this thread under siege. There's no more bad gas to give so act inappropriately if you must. :bonk:

Well that sucks I was lookin forward to some bad gas. I never got any before! Thanks for your input. I guess I will visit this issue next. What a PITA.

Well that sucks I was lookin forward to some bad gas. I never got any before! Thanks for your input. I guess I will visit this issue next. What a PITA.

Not a PITA but another way to OWN your bike. I believe it's the source of me running rich and consuming too much gas lately too.

Not a PITA but another way to OWN your bike. I believe it's the source of me running rich and consuming too much gas lately too.

Yeah I hear ya. But after I drive 2 to 3 hours to ride my bike I wanna ride not wrench...but alas I must be responsible. And being able to pick that bad boy up after a spill sure would make life easier:thumbsup:

• 4 months later...