Watch the Video: WA Legislative Public Hearing

In case anyone wants to view the video of Leg Committee Public Comments reviewing of SB-5128, -5129, and -5586, here is the link: http://www.tvw.org/media/MediaPlayer.cfm?evid=2009010174&TYPE=V&bhcp=1

I think overall the arguments made against these bills were helpful, but won't change the mind of Sen Jacobson (no supprise after speaking with him directly).

Every citizen of Washington needs to write their representives to let them know how you want them to vote.....

andy t.

One other thing.... You can skip the first part of the video about the Orcas. The ORV portion begins around 1:00:00 into the video.

In case anyone wants to view the video of today's Leg Committee review of SB-5128, -5129, and -5586, here is the link: http://www.tvw.org/media/MediaPlayer.cfm?evid=2009010174&TYPE=V&bhcp=1

I think overall the arguments made against these bills were helpful, but won't change the mind of Sen Jacobson (no supprise after speaking with him directly).

Every citizen of Washington needs to write their representives to let them know how you want them to vote.....

andy t.

One other thing.... You can skip the first part of the video about the Orcas. The ORV portion begins after that....

Good job guys! I thought you all came across better prepared tha the committee staff or woman from the DNR. It seemed like they thought this was a slam dunk and didn't have any of thier facts and figures to back up what they were saying.

Also I have to give kudos to senator Stevens She seem to have a level head on her shoulders and is interested in fairness. That is rare IMHO for a politition these days.

• Like 1

Jacobson sure did like throwing in those snipes didn't he?

Yes, he is quite flip with his comments. I guess I'm not supprised by his hatred for ORV's after reading his Bio: "In his spare time, he is an ardent bird watcher and backyard wildlife gardener."

Well, I have a bird for him to watch, and some compost for his garden....

Giving%20The%20Finger.jpg

andy t.

[Moderator, you may have to remove this....[almost] sorry!]

Those guys did a great job! Thank you for being so well prepared and thanks to all of us who have sent letters to our government officials voicing our opinions concerning these loss of freedom items.

Keep up the good work!

-Craig

Yes, he is quite flip with his comments. I guess I'm not supprised by his hatred for ORV's after reading his Bio: "In his spare time, he is an ardent bird watcher and backyard wildlife gardener."

Well, I have a bird for him to watch, and some compost for his garden....

Giving%20The%20Finger.jpg

andy t.

[Moderator, you may have to remove this....[almost] sorry!]

OH NO He is one of those! My neighbor is one of those bird loving “Backyard wildlife gardeners”. It is an ongoing battle. She feeds them then they poop all over my hot tub and patio on the way out. It really ticks her off when I get bored and sit on my patio with a beer and a pellet gun. :banana:

I say we write a bill to outlaw backyard wildlife gardening. We could site health concerns as with the spread of Avian flu people could die. This is not a joke either. Whatcom County is now testing birds for the flu. We also have to site the noise. As someone who lives next door to a "Backyard Wildlife gardener" I can tell you the noise can be deafening and it goes on all day every day.

Birds are a serious noise and health concern!!! I say we should make all "Backyard Wildlife Gardeners" have a license at the very least! I propose that the metal license be 4ft. by 7ft and to be mounted on the "Wildlife Gardeners" Home.

Also birds are a threat to natural flora! They break twigs off of trees and pull blades of grass out of the ground to build their nests. They usually pick my dryer vent as a nice cozy place to build a nest. That is until I hooked an electric fence charger up to some wire and attached it to the dryer vent. That solved one problem and created another. Now I have to clean up dead birds all spring.

Avian flu article from the Bellingham Herald:

Whatcom County birds to be tested for avian flu

ZOE FRALEY - THE BELLINGHAM HERALD

The discovery of the H5 avian influenza virus in turkeys just over the border has prompted state officials to step up testing on local birds.

The Washington State Department of Agriculture is asking 13 Whatcom County farms that regularly send in eggs for testing to send an additional batch to be tested for avian flu antibodies, said department communications director Jason Kelly.

"We're going to actively monitor eggs produced in Whatcom County," he said.

Washington State has never had a confirmed case of avian flu, and Kelly said he doesn't expect it to cross the border in this case. State veterinarians have been in contact with their counterparts in Canada as well as the U.S. Department of Agriculture to figure out the best plan to keep the state's poultry safe.

On Saturday, Jan. 24, avian influenza virus was confirmed on a commercial turkey farm in Abbotsford, B.C., and as many as 60,000 birds could be euthanized because of the disease.

"The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is moving quickly to contain the disease in Canada," Kelly said. "(British Columbia) has been though similar depopulation of poultry before, in April 2004, and that was a more widespread issue, but it never came across (the border)."

The virus doesn't affect food safety when it is killed by proper cooking and handling, Kelly said. It very rarely affects humans, unless they have been in close contact with infected birds.

The virus found Sunday in Abbotsford is a weak, low pathogenic strain, unlike the deadly H7N4 virus that killed or caused the destruction of 17 million birds in 2004.

Though this strain is not as strong, now is still the time for bird owners to be vigilant, Kelly said. They need to keep an eye out for symptoms of the virus in their birds, such as a drop in egg production, sneezing and other respiratory system problems. Bird owners should make sure to use proper sanitation, washing their hands and equipment and changing clothes after coming in contact with their birds.

"The message is that bird owners need to keep a close eye on their birds," he said. "And if they do see signs of illness in their birds, they need to report it to the state veterinary office."

Any bird owners who suspect their flock may be affected by the virus should call the state's avian hotline at 1 (800) 606-3056.

I hope this sounds as ridicules as SB5128 does.

Disclaimer No birds have actually been harmed on my property. The pellet gun and fence charger are only ideas that have crossed my mind as I pressure wash hundreds of pounds of bird poop off my patio.

bump! I'd still like to remind people to watch the video of the Public Comments regarding the current bills affecting ORV use in Washington. I hope more people will be compelled to write letters to the Senators on the committee.

andy t.

We also have to keep hitting their email boxes with letters. I've submitted mine (thanks WOHVA), and shared with other ORV folks in hopes they'll share their thoughts.

Keep sending. They have until 25-feb to vote these bills out of committee.

We might have over half the committee on our side today, but don't let them forget in the next tow weeks that these pieces of legislation stink.

Thanks Andy; I didn't know Gorillas were so conversant with sign language.

Yes they are.... ?

Thanks and good job sending letters.... Sen. Morton appears to be on our side at this point. We still need to persuade at least one more Senator to get these bills killed in committee.

andy t.

you guys sounded great, that Jacobson sure comes across like a jerk. where do we find the emails addresses of the committee members?

Check the other threads concerning legislation, they are posted on those several places. Keep the email flood going....

andy t.

you guys sounded great, that Jacobson sure comes across like a jerk. where do we find the emails addresses of the committee members?

Here are the members and their email addys:

Ken Jacobsen (chairman) = Jacobsen.ken@leg.wa.gov,

Kevin Ranker = ranker.kevin@leg.wa.gov,

Bob Morton = morton_bo@leg.wa.gov,

Karen Fraser = fraser.karen@leg.wa.gov,

Jim Hargrove = hargrove.jim@leg.wa.gov,

Brian Hatfield = hatfield.brian@leg.wa.gov,

Val Stevens = stevens_va@leg.wa.gov,

Dan Swecker = Swecker.dan@leg.wa.gov,

Let them know what you think.

I'm watching this now. The Commitee Staff sound like a bunch of bumbling bafoons.

So Ms. Bunning what is the great cost involved in repairing wetlands "at great expense". Examples? Ooops I didn't bring it, but I'll get it, I promise. Several million out at Belfair? Oh yeah that includes signage. "We haven't worked out the math". Anyone seen theses "trail management" people on the trails?

Let us street plate all bikes and be done with it!!

Jacobsen says he was happy that his children had some training before operating their vehicles. Where was he?

Tip-o-the-hat to Andy Tudhope for calm, cool, and decisive comments. Also to Val Stevens for getting it!

Mortenson: Migrant workers with fake I.D.'s, What????

Jacobsen is a smug little man isn't he.?

This has been an eye opener. All in favor of the amendment on "blue paper" say I.

I'm watching this now. The Commitee Staff sound like a bunch of bumbling bafoons.

So Ms. Bunning what is the great cost involved in repairing wetlands "at great expense". Examples? Ooops I didn't bring it, but I'll get it, I promise. Several million out at Belfair? Oh yeah that includes signage. "We haven't worked out the math". Anyone seen theses "trail management" people on the trails?

Let us street plate all bikes and be done with it!!

Jacobsen says he was happy that his children had some training before operating their vehicles. Where was he?

Tip-o-the-hat to Andy Tudhope for calm, cool, and decisive comments. Also to Val Stevens for getting it!

Mortenson: Migrant workers with fake I.D.'s, What????

Jacobsen is a smug little man isn't he.?

This has been an eye opener. All in favor of the amendment on "blue paper" say I.

It was a pretty good day.... and if I can do it (speak), anyone can! Mortenson, I believe, is on our side. He caught himself after he made the statement about loggers leaving behind logging roads and log skids for the ORV's to use. Then he realized it was illegal for us to do so. Point made, thank you!

Jacobsen is just a smug jerk.....

I'm sending Stevens a chocolate bunny at Easter for her comments....

Thanks for watching the video so see what we are up against, and how citizens "do" have the right to speak out for what they believe.

andy t.

Ms Bunning is actually the DNR Deputy Supervisor of Administration.