Bicycle Odometer Installed

I really miss having an odometer since moving up to the YZ450 from my WR250. Not wanting to spend the big bucks on a Trailtech I thought I'd give this a shot. Bell 20 function bike computer, $9.95 at Target. Lot of cool features including a temp gauge. The toughest part was soldering in a length of double wire since the supplied wire was too short. The small main wire actually has two separate insulated wires inside.

2009_0119_071548AA.jpg

It was setup to attach the magnet to spokes. I cut the magnet from their bolt setup and glued it to the rotor hole with JB. Near perfect fit.

Used leftover double sided tape from my hour meter install to attach the pickup. A little exposed to rocks and bushes but we'll see.

2009_0119_071529AA.jpg

2009_0119_071614AA.jpg

I used a lot of electrical tape to marry the wire to the brake line.

2009_0119_071607AA.jpg

• Like 1

THATS COOL but how do u expect it to handle offroad and mudding condishions

I have one on a mountain bike that gets much dirtier than my motocross bike ever does. I will typically take the bicycle out on days that are too nasty to ride m'cycles --- it should hold up in theory --- i think the unit on my mtb was about 60 clams tho, and wireless --- but mtb's nowadays have more suspension travel than a DT250 and arguably get ridden harder too

I went for a ride yesterday and it seemed fine. The instructions talk about mtn bike apps so i'd hope its fairly water resistant. I'd worry more about bushes snagging the wire but for the price i could replace it a few times.

Looks like it's well worth a shot! If nothing else, it would be great as a stop watch for training loops. Never had much luck with the Trailtech units. They seem to be pretty buggy.

Did you have to do anything special to mount the display to the bars?

- Chris www.rider315.com

It mounts with two zip ties. Pretty sano.

amazingly well !

try looking on some wc dh racers and belive me they get atleast as much mud.

its not like they use i in there race run, but i know many people that use it in extreme conditions like myself.

?

great idea man

mine was around 30 bucks.

u can find some for 200

Awesome job ?

I used one for a whole season with no issues. it was well worth the $10 I spent.

On the other hand, my brother-in-law spent $250 for the Vapor setup (with fancy mount) that never worked correctly ? I think he is on his 3rd unit :moon:

I did the same thing 11 years ago on my old DR350. This was before the Trailtech. At first I tried a wireless bicycle computer but they only transmit for about 2 feet and a dirt bike needs over 3 ft. Then I put on one with a wire that I ran in a long piece of clear plastic tubing to protect it. Worked great, but I spent several hours machining a mount from delrin to hold the transmitter to the fork leg. Your setup looks simpler and cleaner.

My d/s XR400 needs a speedometer, maybe I'll do one like yours.

Have fun, Mike

I used one for about 2 1/2 years on an RM465 before the vibes got to it. Worked great. For what it's worth, I read somewhere that the Trail Tech Endurance computer is really just a bicycle computer with a few more functions (like the maintenance reminder) added in the software. The basic unit was developed for touring bikes.

I set up the exact same thing a couple of years ago, worked well until I hit 70km/hr, then it would get all wonky - I presumed it just wasn't able to keep up since bicycles don't normally run speeds like that - so I put it on my wife's bike, she's a lot slower....