Signs of AGE ??????????

I am currently looking into buying a yz 426. I have rode two strokes all my life though... I was wondering if you guys had any tips on wut to look for or lsten for ( when riding ) to indicate the wear or tear on a bike.... and what are some signs of a worn out motor..... any advice wou be great!!!!! thanks:thumbsup:

I look at pegs for the teeth being worn down, the shifter tip knurling for the cross hatch being smoothed out, the brake pedal for the teeth being worn down.

Also, a tell tale indicator is side covers and frame area right above the pegs.

All these are dead giveways as to amount of saddle time that has been put in on the bike.

What brings you around, CH? Did you think this thread was about me? :D

Not everything's about you..?

Actually, I snagged an 01 YZ426 basket case for $500 with alot of bolt ons and new rubber, chain, sprockets, ProTapers, Unabikers, Cycra ProBends, spare plastics still new in package, 3 seats, manual......:worthy::ride::banghead: :banghead:

Motors roached-rod seized to the crank, but that's easy enough to deal with.

My plan is to rebuild and SM the beast-I got a title, so plating in MN is a breeze.

Figure $800 for engine, and another $500 to get the SM'ing done we're going hooligan'ing!:banghead:

Cool.

Consider your options while looking for an engine. I'm pretty certain the 450's for the steel framed bikes will fit with a couple of adjustments. For Street/SM, you'd want the WR for it's longer legged trans and fatter electricals.

The previous owner had installed some of the necessary WR parts-it already has lights on it.

If I can find an engine cheap enough, I'll probably stuff a WR motor in there...if not, I'm going to drop the coin and build this one.

No real rush, I bought it as a winter project.......which starts in another 3 weeks where I live.