Electric Output Stator for 06-07 YZ450F - UPDATE

There has been quite a few people asking about a stator for the newer 450's (06 and up) that would allow them to run a headlight/taillight. I was one of those people for quite a while.

As some of you know, after EXTENSIVE research, the choice boiled down to only 2 options. One was having your stock stator rewound by Lake & Trail, the other was an aftermarket unit by Electrosport. Both units are rated at 50 watts AC output.

Many people don't think too highly of Electrosport's products. In fact, the unit I got had the backing plate machined incorrectly and would not fit the ignition cover. I had to cut off all the electrics from my stock backing plate, cut everything off the Electrosport unit, and then solder the Electrosport electrics to my stock backing plate. Frankly I'm amazed it works after that. To their credit, Electrosport knew about the problem, the error was from the company in Asia that makes the unit. I told them I'd take it anyway as it was the only option I knew of at the time. I had called Electrosport last week and asked them if they ever fixed the problem and had gotten any more units in, and they said they had not. So I guess I might have gotten the only one from them.

Well, today I was at the local MC shop picking up some more stuff, and I happened to look at a new 08 MOOSE catalog they just got in. To my surprize, they listed an electric output stator for the 06-07 450's !!! :crazy:

Same 50 watt output, so you'll still have to watch your choice of components, but I think I'll feel a little more confident in the Moose product's reliability. I ordered one today - if nothing else, so I have a backup. Retail is right around $200. Moose part number is: 2112-0228

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you check trailtech. the site mention the output is 100w.

Electrical System Kit: Yamaha YFZ450 All Years, WR450 '03-08, WR250 '03-08

$199.95

S-8500

Stator for Yamaha YFZ450 All Years and WR250/WR450 '03-08. Provides over 100 watts of DC power at idle. Regulator/rectifier included, battery sold separately.

yes, I have checked Trail Tech - the YFZ is a quad - we're on the motorcycle forum here - totally different system.

when I say I have researched this stuff extensively, I mean it. I didn't just go to the website and look. I actually called and spoke to the peole who design and make the components and asked them what was aailale, and even if they were going to make something in the future.

One sort of disclaimer - I am only talking about stuff available in the US - there is a company making a kit in Europe, but personally I would prefer not to deal with that.

yes, I have checked Trail Tech - the YFZ is a quad - we're on the motorcycle forum here - totally different system.

when I say I have researched this stuff extensively, I mean it. I didn't just go to the website and look. I actually called and spoke to the peole who design and make the components and asked them what was aailale, and even if they were going to make something in the future.

One sort of disclaimer - I am only talking about stuff available in the US - there is a company making a kit in Europe, but personally I would prefer not to deal with that.

so did you notice the trailtech description included wr250's and wr450's as well as the yfz450? Both of those are bikes.

http://www.trailtech.net/media/instructions/electrical_systems/WR450_electrical_system_notes.pdf

guys, like I said, I talked to all these companies. In fact I talked to Trail Tech again only a week ago. They still have nothing for the new 450's, and they still have no plans of ever making anything.

It is entirely possible that certain years of WR's and the quads have a similar stator setup, but the bottom line is it's different from the 06-07 YZ450F motorcycles, which is what we're talkin about.

The listing is: "Stator for Yamaha YFZ450 All Years and WR250/WR450 '03-08." They have no listing for the late YZ450.

The form factor of the YFZ (quad) stator is unchanged over this entire year range, and although the WR engines were changed in '07, they still use the same stator as they did in '03.

However, none of these will fit any YZ450 motorcycle engine unless some major parts are swapped into the YZ from the WR. In the case of the '06 and later, you "only" need the flywheel, stator, ignition cover, and crankshaft (or at least the left axle) from an '07 or later WR. In the case of the '05 and earlier YZ450, you need to add the crankcases to that list.

The listing is: "Stator for Yamaha YFZ450 All Years and WR250/WR450 '03-08." They have no listing for the late YZ450.

The form factor of the YFZ (quad) stator is unchanged over this entire year range, and although the WR engines were changed in '07, they still use the same stator as they did in '03.

However, none of these will fit any YZ450 motorcycle engine unless some major parts are swapped into the YZ from the WR. In the case of the '06 and later, you "only" need the flywheel, stator, ignition cover, and crankshaft (or at least the left axle) from an '07 or later WR. In the case of the '05 and earlier YZ450, you need to add the crankcases to that list.

so if i have an 06 yz450f i only need these parts

* 06 WR450F Flywheel

* 06 WR450F Stator

* 06 WR450F Ignition Cover

why the need for the crank half?
The WR flywheel is set farther outward from the crank in order to make room for the starter drive on the back side of it (if an e-start is installed). That means that the left axle of the crank is longer, for one thing, and apart from that, the taper is larger, by the look of it. Even if the taper on the YZ crank fit the WR flywheel, the flywheel would not reach out far enough to line up with the stator.

The WR flywheel is set farther outward from the crank in order to make room for the starter drive on the back side of it (if an e-start is installed). That means that the left axle of the crank is longer, for one thing, and apart from that, the taper is larger, by the look of it. Even if the taper on the YZ crank fit the WR flywheel, the flywheel would not reach out far enough to line up with the stator.

so it's useless if we don't change the left side of the YZ crank with the WR crank?

correct.

It's gonna be WAY more expensive to switch to WR parts - plus alot more hassle since you'd have to split the cases and also press off and on the crank half.

A LOT easier and cheaper just to go with the replacement stator.

Only 2 advantages I could see in going with the WR parts swap - a perceived increase in reliability, and the fact that the WR stator no doubt puts out a lot more than 50 watts