White brothers E series muffler - not keen on rear mount clearence

:cheers: This just will not due, I don't like how it's jammed up against the blinker when it's bolted in stock position, so I want to make a small bracket to lower it a bit.

The stock head pipe is being painted at the moment but I can't forsee any problems with the header/muffler pipe junction as it only changes the tilt of muffler pipe by about a 1/8 inch and the header should have enough give to still fit perfect.

Any idea where I find 1/4 to 3/16" thick aluminum to make a (1st pic) bracket?

I guess WB didn't want to take the time to add another 3/8-1/2" to their original bracket so it will fit the L model proper and I assume this muffler was designed for the XR600, it IS the right one for my model though.

Small things like this just ? piss me off, there is no excuse for it! :bonk:

All that time to make such a beautiful bracket, then it does not fit right anyway

DSC04532.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

?? if mounted stock

DSC04529.jpg

?? if mounted stock

DSC04528.jpg

?:thumbsup: with bracket

DSC04531.jpg

?:busted: with bracket

DSC04533.jpg

Move the turn signals and leave the pipe alone.

Get some aluminum "Z" channel and mount the signal up directly from the fender mount. It's lighter than that clunky stock steel mount too. ?

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g124/FZ1426/000_0027.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g124/FZ1426/000_0029.jpg

Looks something like this. The material fits right between the fender and the frame.

That's how I did it with the 600. Then promptly removed them once the CHP inspection was done.

Removing that cosmetic e series end cap also saves a decent amount of weight.

Thank You buddy, looks pretty decent. ?

You said about getting "Z" channel, so the brackets you show are just that and they are exactly how you bought them except for the holes?

I have a feeling you buy it in lengths then you sort of custom bend them to your needs?

Are they strong enough ? They look like they could possibly bend a bit over time, maybe not though but from what you say you don't use them at all, just for inspection then off they go ?

It's aluminum extrusion. Comes in that shape (and many others). 6000 or 7000 series aircraft stuff. not your average lawn chair material, very tough stuff. You have to cut it and fab it yourself.

Those cosmetic end caps don't do anything but add weight.

It's aluminum extrusion. Comes in that shape (and many others). 6000 or 7000 series aircraft stuff. not your average lawn chair material, very tough stuff. You have to cut it and fab it yourself.

Those cosmetic end caps don't do anything but add weight.

OHHHHH, you mean the very end chrome piece, NO WAY MAN, I like how that looks ? I could care less about the little bit of weight it adds.

I'd try your local hardware stores for the aluminum angle. You will probably have to buy a 4' section but that just means you'll have some good leftover stock to have handy for your next "project".

A man cannot have enough aluminum stock handy. Always some project coming up you can use it for. :-)

I'm with you on not wanting to booger up your stock turnsignals, but if you did a clean job (you always do) like FZ1426 then it would look like stock.

HUFF take it from me i have the same exhaust GET THE DEFLECTOR mine was like it when i got it but it started to burn through the fender a bit. WB makes one and it had 180 degree protection there like 30 bucks or something check out their website youll see what i mean.

I'd try your local hardware stores for the aluminum angle. You will probably have to buy a 4' section but that just means you'll have some good leftover stock to have handy for your next "project".

A man cannot have enough aluminum stock handy. Always some project coming up you can use it for. :-)

I'm with you on not wanting to booger up your stock turnsignals, but if you did a clean job (you always do) like FZ1426 then it would look like stock.

I'm starting to think a bracket will not work right and FZ's solution will work better but .............next thread

HUFF take it from me i have the same exhaust GET THE DEFLECTOR mine was like it when i got it but it started to burn through the fender a bit. WB makes one and it had 180 degree protection there like 30 bucks or something check out their website youll see what i mean.

Thank You !

:busted: If I would go that route, what the heck, I might as well go ahead and get the 360, no ?

Ya know, my bike is all stock, air box snorkel and all and I test drove bike with 5 disc on and since the less disc the richer it makes the jetting and helps with bottom end, I thought I would see a bit more improvement ?

Matter of fact it seemed like while I got a bit more bottom it shortened the whole powerband a bit.

I'm taking off the smog junk and installing a jet kit today and I'll test both pipes (stock&WB) and if I don't see that much improvement, I'm just going to go back to stock.

The WB pipe sounds great, it really is acceptable as far as sound goes, no where near a competition motocross bike or Harley tone for sure but I am really dissapointed in the fitment of it :cheers: as I exspect a bolt/slip on to do just that and while it will do "just that" it's not right so between the fitment (extra work for me making it right), performance and buying the deflector (? that should come with it!:bonk: ) I may just sell it again:excuseme:

Others may be perfectly happy with it, I'm not. The muffler itself looks really nice though and is constructed well (love the shortness of it torwards some) and sounds just fine, that I will give it ? The blue in the white brothers logo just so happens to match the blue in my side panel too! ?

all you need is to protect your fender from getting burned but if you want the 360 more power to ya, i just know from mine that it will hit your fender and mine has about 3/4 inch burned through when i got it so im gonna get one to protect it more.

my dad has same bike, same exhaust. he left the signal in the stock position and it melted the lens!:busted:

:bonk:?

Glad I'm doing what I'm doing then! ?

At this very moment I'm making up brackets to raise them, be a little different from what FZ did but serve the same purpose.

Yea, little design flaws like this erks me :cheers: I'd rather pay 30 buck more and have either the muffler mount bracket redisigned right or the least they could do is make up new blinker brackets like we did here.

This warrants a complaint to WB but then ? what's the use ??, they don't make the muffler anymore.

Martin dude ............love that rack, very nice !

I was already to buy one but then noticed no tool pouch because of it, that's a bummer cause I need my pouch but love that rack also

:busted::cheers:

Have a link to those brackets, now that I spent a whole day making my own ?

My blinker location now looks much better then stock! I'll take some pic's when it's all done. ?

What a difference ?

Before .......

DSC04529.jpg

After ...........

DSC04548.jpg

Before ..........

DSC04528.jpg

After .........

DSC04549.jpg

Bracket (still need to get bolt for other hole yet)

I guess you could call it the 3" rear blinker bracket mod cause it's approx an inch higher, closer and back farther. ?

DSC04550.jpg