XRR: Pirelli MT21 tire pics at 1115 miles

Just replaced the Pirelli MT21s I had installed on my XR650R and snapped some pics to show their condition. I log all my miles...in the winter I'm usually 50/50 but the AZ heat keeps the big XR on mostly commuting duty during the summer. These had 857 on-road miles and 259 off-road miles. The off-road milage was mostly fast, rocky, desert-type terrain. So far I'm finding that I pretty much wear down the tires at about the same rate no matter what the spread is between on and off miles. The front knobs do get "pointy" from pavement braking--that doesn't happen off-road, they just wear all over.

My last set were D606s. I think I slightly prefer the rear 606--less greesy on the pavement and less prone to chunking...maybe lasts a little longer...maybe slightly less traction off-road in my terrain. Hard to say on that. But the front MT21 blows the D606 away for all-around wear and off-road traction. I could just flip this front MT21 around and get some more miles out of her but am anxious to try the my new tires.

I'm trying a set of Kenda 270s now since my miles are going to be mostly on-road till it cools down. Rear looks alright; I'm not expecting the front to work off-road very well. We'll see....

MT21 front

p8040060ki9.jpg

MT21 front

p8040062xs4.jpg

MT21 rear

p8040059ri0.jpg

MT21 rear

p8040058fm9.jpg

haa, my 21's look almost exactly like that. Bike 'should' have about 700 miles if the previous owner was square with me. Disproportionate amount of power wheelies and a couple burnouts have speeded their demise. Haven't been able to decide what to do. I WANT new knobs, but have a new set of Scorpians sitting there, AND all my riding has been street so far except for a few field explorations.

I've never changed a motorcycle tire, lots of bicycle tires which I don't assume are relevent except for understanding the process. I know breaking the bead on the mounted tire can be a challenge, what is the "normal" process?

Just replaced the Pirelli MT21s I had installed on my XR650R and snapped some pics to show their condition. I log all my miles...in the winter I'm usually 50/50 but the AZ heat keeps the big XR on mostly commuting duty during the summer. These had 857 on-road miles and 259 off-road miles. The off-road milage was mostly fast, rocky, desert-type terrain. So far I'm finding that I pretty much wear down the tires at about the same rate no matter what the spread is between on and off miles. The front knobs do get "pointy" from pavement braking--that doesn't happen off-road, they just wear all over.

My last set were D606s. I think I slightly prefer the rear 606--less greesy on the pavement and less prone to chunking...maybe lasts a little longer...maybe slightly less traction off-road in my terrain. Hard to say on that. But the front MT21 blows the D606 away for all-around wear and off-road traction. I could just flip this front MT21 around and get some more miles out of her but am anxious to try the my new tires.

What pressure did you run those MT21's at?

I normally run 12-14 off-road and 22-26 on-road.

I've changed, oh--I guess it's been about 10 or 12 tires now. The first couple times really really sucked. But the last few have gone smoothly and this last set where actually quite easy. The Kenda 270s heated in the sun where super plyable.

I normally run 12-14 off-road and 22-26 on-road.

I've changed, oh--I guess it's been about 10 or 12 tires now. The first couple times really really sucked. But the last few have gone smoothly and this last set where actually quite easy. The Kenda 270s heated in the sun where super plyable.

Thanks... thats about what I run as well. I only got about 800 miles out of

my 606 rear tire. 120/90 ?

Hey HawkGt are you in the Phoenix area? If you are do you ever go to the Pavilions in Scottsdale on Saturday Nights?

I use to be a Mill Avenue regular (back when it was more about the riding then "squid posing"--it goes in cycles I guess) and would occasionally go to the Pavillions. It's been years though. I was a die-hard (no pun) street rider once--still am in a sense, even though my only registered and insured "street bike" is my XRR. Tryed to get back into it with a little, "slow" bike (VFR400R) that ended up turning into a DMV nightmare...

I'm in Chandler. How often do you go? Are there any dual sporters up there?

I use to be a Mill Avenue regular (back when it was more about the riding then "squid posing"--it goes in cycles I guess) and would occasionally go to the Pavillions. It's been years though. I was a die-hard (no pun) street rider once--still am in a sense, even though my only registered and insured "street bike" is my XRR. Tryed to get back into it with a little, "slow" bike (VFR400R) that ended up turning into a DMV nightmare...

I'm in Chandler. How often do you go? Are there any dual sporters up there?

The VFR sounds cool, I guess the Euro bikes can be a bitch with DMV, a few dual sports show up once in awhile at Pavillions, I go when the weather's tolerable, I havn't been to Mill or bus stop in years. Maybe we can get a ride going when the weather's nice.

I shouldnt even be asking this, but, how does the bike feel in asphalt with these tires. I'm running Dunlop D606s (120/90-18) with a 50T rear sprocket. It gets a bit squirrly when I gotta mash the binders on the highway. Seem good off road. Just doin a comparison, I'm lookin fer new kicks...

I found them to be perfectly acceptable on the road. Noisey and not especially smooth but surprisingly good traction. Believe it or not, the Kenda 270's (more of a 50/50 tire) I'm trying out right now have LESS traction--especially the rear. They squirm and dance all over the place. Leaving blackies coming out of corners is fun though. They are smoother and quieter than the MT21s and I imagine they'll last longer, but that's about all they have going for them.

It's hard to remember exactly what the 606s felt like on-road compared to the MT21s but I'd say they are comparable. Overall, for both on and off road I'd give the MT21s a slight edge--especially the front.

I run 15/49 gearing.

ETA: my fork brace and oversized front rotor really settled the front end down during hard on-road braking. It felt squirly under hard braking before but the brace and rotor really helped that.

I run about 50% on/off road. On the way home when I DO off road, I run thru a lot of loose sand and swampy areas with puddles that could swallow a VW Bug. I just may try the Pirellis, the Kendas do not look like they would cut the mustard in the swamp...thanks for the info...JL