Can't/Won't wheelie

I've got a 96 XR 600R. I'm pretty new to the bike thing, but reading through other posts I've seen multiple XR riders posting about their wheelie's in first through third gear. My XR won't pull a 3rd gear wheelie, and to get it up in first or second requires some clutch slippage. It runs great, tops out around 100 in fifth and seems to be mechanically fine. Is this normal? Suggestions on wheelies?

Thanks!!

Kind of depends on how heavy you are. I'm about 260 and lifting the wheel in third requires a bit of input. Lean back and pull on the forks. Recently I was having some problems lifting the front wheel. Turned out that my clutch was slipping. New clutch and I'm back to lifting that wheel at will.

Rider technique and skill makes all the difference.

Unless there is something seriously wrong with your XR, I'd bet it's fully cabable of being bounced into a stand-up wheelie in 5th (let alone lofting the wheel 1st-3rd) along with tons of other crazy stunts. It takes strength, balance, and a deft touch at the controls. Oh yea--and lots of practice.

I'm not aware of a bike that Can't/Won't wheelie.

wheelie2.jpg

546131136372071.jpg

Here's an XR600:

968361116930143.jpg

• Like 1

I've got a 96 XR 600R. I'm pretty new to the bike thing, but reading through other posts I've seen multiple XR riders posting about their wheelie's in first through third gear. My XR won't pull a 3rd gear wheelie, and to get it up in first or second requires some clutch slippage. It runs great, tops out around 100 in fifth and seems to be mechanically fine. Is this normal? Suggestions on wheelies?

Thanks!!

TRy getting to about 3200rpm (about a third of the way into the RPM range) let all the way off the throttle and then instantly all the way back on. No clutch. Just off the all then WOT in second. Should work in third also. You should get a nice power wheelie without flipping the bike. It's called bouncing but, you don't need to bounce but, it helps get you started.

I'm not the best at wheelies yet on my 650r, I can't find any balance point on that bike.

I learned that throttle control is the best thing to focus on with these big bikes. At first, it will seem like you have to pull a lot to get the front tire up, but as you learn your bike more, it becomes a simple tug, or even just shifting your weight back. The key is all in how fast (or slow) you turn the throttle. Good tires, matched to the terrain you're riding on will also help.

Long steep smooth hills are the best way of learning. First practice in one gear maybe 2nd. Then find the right balance point for an easy click up into the next gears. Once you master this you should be able to do them on flat road. For me getting it up far enough for it to slide into the next gear was the hard thing. The 650r is a good wheelie bike as it feels you can go nearly verticle before you reach the "oh shiittt" point.

• Like 1

Please don't take this the wrong way, but someone has to say it..... Here goes the sermon.....if you can't wheelie an XR600 you shouldn't be riding 100mph!!! I'm sorry, but you need practice man. We want you to be a rider for life.... a long happy life. Guys who don't know how to wheelie a very capable dirt bike have no business riding anywhere going 100mph. Take your time and don't worry about keeping up with guys that have ridden their whole lives.

I have a few riding buddies that have only ridden for a few years. They are pretty good until something happens. The ability to recover from something going wrong is what seperates experienced riders from novices. Practice, practice, practice. There's nothing wrong with novices. I'm a "more the merrier" kind of guy when it comes to rides. Don't worry if you cannot keep up with vets. If they're good riding partners they'll wait for you.

Good ridin' man.

• Like 1

Please don't take this the wrong way, but someone has to say it..... Here goes the sermon.....if you can't wheelie an XR600 you shouldn't be riding 100mph!!! I'm sorry, but you need practice man. We want you to be a rider for life.... a long happy life. Guys who don't know how to wheelie a very capable dirt bike have no business riding anywhere going 100mph. Take your time and don't worry about keeping up with guys that have ridden their whole lives.

I have a few riding buddies that have only ridden for a few years. They are pretty good until something happens. The ability to recover from something going wrong is what seperates experienced riders from novices. Practice, practice, practice. There's nothing wrong with novices. I'm a "more the merrier" kind of guy when it comes to rides. Don't worry if you cannot keep up with vets. If they're good riding partners they'll wait for you.

Good ridin' man.

A good point and a nice post. I especially liked the, "The ability to recover from something going wrong is what seperates experienced riders from novices" part.

• Like 1

Do you mean lofting the front wheel when required, or do you mean balancing a wheelie for 1/4 mile down the road. I can loft the wheel when required. I've got about 1000 rides under my belt. That's one trial ride a week for twenty years. Well not quite twenty years, but I average more than once a week. One of the primary reasons I got a XR600 was the relative easy of lofting the front wheel on demand. I don't feel any need to ride a wheelie down the street. One thing that I have found is that whenever I try and pull a hotdog move, like a wheelie, the likelihood of a mishap is greatly increased.

When I go riding I always try and do the most technical trials that I can possibly do. You know that "Dude, you didn't tell me I needed my trials bike" kind of ride.

Rider technique and skill makes all the difference.

Unless there is something seriously wrong with your XR, I'd bet it's fully cabable of being bounced into a stand-up wheelie in 5th (let alone lofting the wheel 1st-3rd) along with tons of other crazy stunts. It takes strength, balance, and a deft touch at the controls. Oh yea--and lots of practice.

I'm not aware of a bike that Can't/Won't wheelie.

wheelie2.jpg

546131136372071.jpg

Here's an XR600:

968361116930143.jpg

the goldwing in that first pic has an engine bigger than whats in most cars.....thats like a 2.2L v6 man....those things have serious balls.

the goldwing in that first pic has an engine bigger than whats in most cars.....thats like a 2.2L v6 man....those things have serious balls.

I've ridden several. It's a 1500cc flat six in that Goldwing (the current one is 1800cc). Along with the big motor comes big weight and a big wheelbase...

Good ridin' man.

I completely disagree with your whole reasonings.I own a xr 600 92 w/plate and bought this bike for the sole purpose of highway/dirt adventure bike,having the ability to keep up with traffic all that good shyte.I dont particularly feel like grabbing air with this big beast.Put me on a 250 2 stroke and it's like a whole different ball game.The 600-650 bike is a Beast that can have ignorant manners that need to be respected.

I've ridden with all kin ds from novice to semi-pro.It all depends on the leauge i'm playing in.I've went out with 125-250 and actuall had fairly lame days.

Whatever each to there o0wn.

Just thought your post had all the wrong reasonings behind it........for wheeling and the ability.

cya.

The 'wing has to be photoshopped.

Everyone KNOWS shaft drive bikes can't wheelie because of the torque reaction.

D

dunno if that pic is shopped or not...

but I must disagree with the wheelie statement (or did i miss a bit of sarcasm?). I had an 86 Magna shaftie that would wheelie just fine, without me on it.

I had to take a motorcycle class once upon a time to get a permit to drive on base & the instructor had a V45 he was riding wheelies on. I told him mine wouldn't & he proceeded to get on it and prove me wrong. :applause:

I wouldnt have believed it if i wasnt standing there myself.