Yamaha WR450F vs Suzuki DRZ400E

I would like your honest opinions please. I think both bikes are Great. ?

I live in West Michigan on 10 acres and plenty of places to ride nearby. Sand dunes, trails, etc...

I'm 45 6'2 240 and haven't ridden a dirtbike in 20 years, except for the occasional ride on a friends bike. My son has the RED machine XR50. I would like to teach him to ride better and I'm sure we will have a ton of fun.

I'm a fairly good rider though. :D

I rode my neighbors RM250 last week and got the "BUG" again.

I need a bike for Dirt 95% of the time. I hate the street, too dangerous. In Michigan it is fairly easy to get a bike street legal. Most of my riding will be trail riding, sand dunes, small jumps, wheelies, etc,,, NO MOTOCROSS RACING.

I've narrowed it down to the WR450F and the DRZ400E. I want a 4 stroke with the Majic button. I can get the WR450F for $1,000 more than the DRZ400E. I will get either bike street legal after purchase.

What are the BIG differences between the two bikes?

Does the Suzuki feel much heavier than the Yamaha?

Which bike is better for cornering, hill climbing, jumping, etc...

How big is the Power difference? Small, Huge, etc...

How would you Honestly compare the 2 bikes?

Both would be 2004 models.

SUZUKI:

Great reviews

I like the seat better

Quality, reliability, dependability seems better than Yamaha

Lower price

Quiet

Negatives:

Less power

Heavier bike

Suspension (I'm 6'2 240 lbs)

May need to spend more $$$ for Power mods

YAMAHA:

More HP :D

Great reviews

Lighter weight

Better Suspension?

Negatives:

$1,000 more

Too much power :D

Don't like the seat

Starter seems weak compared to Suzuki

I want to buy this bike ASAP, I have a dealer who has both in stock.

Thanks in advance.

Mac

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

first off i would like to say i own and love both bikes. for different reasons. drz400E is a done up recreational bike. the wr is a race bike.

"What are the BIG differences between the two bikes?"

1 suspension

2 power

3 grunt

4 "rev out" {top top end}

Yamaha winns in all 4.

Suzuki seems to have a bit better charging system and bigger starter.

"Does the Suzuki feel much heavier than the Yamaha?"

YES in weight and in geometry. but riding the wr, if you not ready for it can be tiring in its self. but only in very tight single track.

"Which bike is better for cornering, hill climbing, jumping, etc..."

sock {or close to} there is no comparison WR hammers in all 3

"How big is the Power difference? Small, Huge, etc..."

BIG

"How would you Honestly compare the 2 bikes?"

you cant

for $1000more GET THE WR. there is no way you could build a stock drz into something like a WR for $1000. $3000 might do it.

I'm obviously biased,but my buddy has the DRZ400e and we are putting the kick start conversion on it due to the starting system giving us intermittent problems. When you are 40 miles from the truck and the pig won't start it is good insurance to have the kicker. If you have ever tried to bump start these things you will know it is almost impossible. WR all the way. Good Luck--WR Dave. ?

I live in Michigan, it is fairly easy to get an off-road bike street legal. Not an issue when buying a dirtbike.

What kind of Service/Maint is required for the WR450F vs the DRZ400E?

Do I need to be concerned with the Woodruff key since I am getting the 2004 model. I've read a lot of problems on the '03 model. Has this been completely resolved on the 2004 model? Do I need to be concerned?

Thanks

Mac

I have the WR and a friend of mine has the DRZ.

I like them both for different reasons.

Like was stated above, the WR is more "race ready", better at turning, and more powerful. I REALLY like my bike.

But . . . the DRZ reminds me of my old XRs . . . it is like riding on a nice cushy couch!!! I doesn't tire me as quickly and I feel like I could ride it for a longer timeframe than the WR. It is comfortable and dependable ride!!

Oil changes seem easier on the DRZ but you have to remove the damn tank on both to change the spark plug . . . what were those engineers thinking??!!

Unless you planning on competing in some sort of off-road event, I'd go with the DRZ . . . it is sweet bike that should fit you well!!

The DRZ has two advantages soft seat and a lowering kit.

There are no other reasons to buy one !

My WR 400 was heaps better than the DRZ E my brother in law had.

He swapped his for a GAS-Gas 450 .

Most people on the site over maintain there bikes [my self included].

I have the WR and a friend of mine has the DRZ.

I like them both for different reasons.

Like was stated above, the WR is more "race ready", better at turning, and more powerful. I REALLY like my bike.

But . . . the DRZ reminds me of my old XRs . . . it is like riding on a nice cushy couch!!! I doesn't tire me as quickly and I feel like I could ride it for a longer timeframe than the WR. It is comfortable and dependable ride!!

Oil changes seem easier on the DRZ but you have to remove the damn tank on both to change the spark plug . . . what were those engineers thinking??!!

Unless you planning on competing in some sort of off-road event, I'd go with the DRZ . . . it is sweet bike that should fit you well!!

Do you compete in off-road events?

You say you really like the WR but you say I should get the DRZ?

I'm worried that the DRZ may be underpowered and not enough suspension.

I'm 6'2 240lbs, 45 years old.

I can get the 2004 WR for only $900 more.

I figure I would need to invest that in the DRZ to bring it up to the STOCK levels of the WR?

Am I making sense? If I didn't have to upgrade the DRZ then maybe I could see, but something tells me I won't be happy with a stock DRZ. ?

What type of Maint is required on the WR? How often do you need to adjust the valves? How long does it take?

Mac

The DRZ has two advantages soft seat and a lowering kit.

There are no other reasons to buy one !

My WR 400 was heaps better than the DRZ E my brother in law had.

He swapped his for a GAS-Gas 450 .

Most people on the site over maintain there bikes [my self included].

I've sat on both bikes. I'm 6'2 and don't need a Lowering kit. ?

$900 more for a WR seems cheap for increased HP and suspension. It would probably cost me $2,000 to get the DRZ up to the same level.

I'm sure I can buy or improve the seat on the WR correct?

Mac

I ridde an 04 wr 450f and my dad rides a 2003 drz400. I have ridden it and i like them both. The DRZ seat is much better and it is easier to maintain. Power is quit less on the DRZ and it cannot keep up with my Yamaha. Weight wise, the DRZ seems very Front-end heavy and I had difficulty cornering. They are both great bike but overall the WR is a better machine in my opinion ?

Spend the grand well worth it, also try the CRF 250 and 450

before you drop the cash or you will have the wife on your

back in 3 months when you want something different.

Good Luck Jerry ?

I definately need to ride the WR before I make my decision, I don't want to kick myself in the a$$ later. The WR is only $900 more, thats Peanuts when compared to beefing up the DRZ to keep up with the WR.

How much maintenance is required for the WR450Z?

How often do you have to adjust the Valves? After how many Hours? Any other maint items I need to be aware of? If I buy the WR it will be an '04.

Mac

C'mon now Z06, if you re-read your posts on this thread you have already answered your own question a few times. Maintenance isn't much different between the two bikes, the softer seat and cushy ride can be built into the WR for peanuts and you are never going to get the DrZ up to WR standards for peanuts. Buy the blue and start grinning in your helmet. 'Nuf said --WR Dave ?

C'mon now Z06, if you re-read your posts on this thread you have already answered your own question a few times. Maintenance isn't much different between the two bikes, the softer seat and cushy ride can be built into the WR for peanuts and you are never going to get the DrZ up to WR standards for peanuts. Buy the blue and start grinning in your helmet. 'Nuf said --WR Dave :D

You're probably correct. :D

If I had ridden the WR then at least I could have made a fair comparison of both bikes.

I'm riding the WR either Fri or Sat, can't wait. It's an '03 model. I can get the DRZ for $4,952 OTD and the WR for only $5,852 OTD, only $900 more. BTW, whichever model I choose it will be a 2004.

Unless I really hate the ride on the WR, I can't see myself getting the DRZ. By the time I add a pipe, intake, and a few other items, I would have used up the $900 difference.

My thinking is that I can get the WR, do the FREE Mods, add case guards, radiator guards, skid plate, handlebars, barkbusters and keep the bike mostly stock.

It should still outperform a Modded DRZ, correct? :usa:

I have been a Suzuki guy all my life, so I am kind of going over to the "DARKSIDE". :usa:

Kind of like Camaro vs Mustang. :D

I just hope the ride on the WR is as nice as the DRZ. The extra power will be a NICE kicker. ?

Just hope I don't hurt myself with that kind of POWER. :D

Mac

Beware:

make sure that the WR you are testing has at the very least the throttle stop replaced or filed down. If I am right they still come 'tamed'. :D

As for a seat: Guts racing makes a real comfortable one, in tall version too (well at least they did for my Wr400). Seat comfort is awesome and it makes a HUGE difference in reducing leg fatigue (much easier to stand from sitting position) for the ones who are vertically UNchallenged like you and me. When you do get your WR ...make sure you do the footpeg mod and get a HIGH (Pastrana Bend) Protaper. Comfort is likewise greatly increased. ?:D

From reading your posts sounds like you really want to buy the WR. Make the right choice...buy the WR. :D

Beware:

make sure that the WR you are testing has at the very least the throttle stop replaced or filed down. If I am right they still come 'tamed'. :D

As for a seat: Guts racing makes a real comfortable one, in tall version too (well at least they did for my Wr400). Seat comfort is awesome and it makes a HUGE difference in reducing leg fatigue (much easier to stand from sitting position) for the ones who are vertically UNchallenged like you and me. When you do get your WR ...make sure you do the footpeg mod and get a HIGH (Pastrana Bend) Protaper. Comfort is likewise greatly increased. :D?

From reading your posts sounds like you really want to buy the WR. Make the right choice...buy the WR. :D

Thanks for all the responses guys, keep em coming. :D

I'm still torn on which bike to get. I have it down to the WR450F and the DRZ400E. Now people are telling me to look at the Honda CRF250X and the WR250F.

Can someone give me an idea of what the difference is between the WR450F and the WR250F? What is the Low end power like on the 250? Price is NOT an issue with these 2 bikes. For the increased price (not much) why would I NOT get the 450?

How much of a difference does the throttle stop make? Are we talking like 12+ HP or more? I doubt the dealer I am going to is going to remove the Stop just for a test ride.

I'm leaning towards the Yamaha WR450F for one reason only. It has a lot more HP for only $900 more than the DRZ. $900 is cheap for that kind of performance.

Reliability concerns me though with the Yamaha. The DRZ is almost Bulletproof, very few problems.

The Yamaha seems to have valve problems/issues, Woodruff key issues, warranty issues, more maintenance, etc... Is this correct?

I will be getting a 2004 for either bike.

I plan on getting a bike next week, so I need to make some decisions fast.

Thanks for all your replies and keep em coming.

Mac

Where are you located in West Michigan-

I live near Grand Haven area and can set you up with a test ride on the following bikes:

2003 WR450f

2003 WR250f

2002 CRF450

2001 YZ250f

2003 YZ250f

All of these are uncorked, piped, and ridden on street and in the trails. They all have benefits and disadvantages.

The WR450f and CRF450 are about the same in speed/power, however the WR is a better trails bike. The CRF is a better motorcross track bike. The CRF is more tempermental and we have not got the jetting sorted out yet. The CRF is explosive in instant power, the WR is smoother and likes to run all day. The CRF will tire you out in the trails faster.

The WR250f is a great trail bike. Not as fast as the YZ250f, and noticeably heavier than the YZ250f. The YZ250f is great for tossing around tight trails and will keep up with the 450's through 3rd gear. The WR250f in also great in the trails, and the gearing is taller than the YZ250f. The WR250f has the headlight, e-start, kickstand, etc.

I recommend the WR450f for the money. All these bikes are great rides, but the WR450f has had no problems, and you can leave the throttle stop intact until you get the hang of riding again. All my friends with 250's wish they had the 450 by the end of the summer. They simply grew out of the 250's. My friend with the CRF450 wish he had my WR450f because of the less maintenance, and better reliability, and e-start.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need to do some test rides.

Also, I have over 3,000 miles of dirt and street riding on my 2003 WR450f with NO e-start problems. I use the e-button all the time, and had the service bulletin performed at 1,000 miles at the dealer for free. The bike runs great in hot or cold weather, starts easy, and the James Dean jet kit really "woke" the bike up.