CRF450r maintenance schedule and upkeep? Cost and ease?

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a bike, either a crf450r or the cr250r. One of the main things I'm concerned with is maintenance, both how often it must be done, how hard it is, and or course cost. I won't be riding the bike too hard, but I will be riding it fairly often since I live in the country where many oil companies clear small dirt roads and trails in the woods. I'll probably be riding a little bit everyday or at least every-other day, especially when I first get the bike.

So, I'd just like to know the basic maintenance schedule, ease, and cost. I read that you have to change the oil every 4 hours with the 450, and the valves every 30? How much time, cost, and effort does that take? How does the 4 stroke maintenance compare with the 2 stroke?

Oil changes and a clean air filter are an absolute must. People will debate, but the general consensus seems to be about 5 hours for an oil change, and your air filter depends on the riding conditions, anywhere from every ride to rarely. As far as 30 hours on the valves go, you can go much, much longer if you do your maintenance and keep it off the rev limiter.

For both bikes, oil changes every 3-4 hrs, trans oil changes every 8 hrs max, oil filter every 15 hrs, clean the airfilter after ever ride, check valves every now and then, replace piston/rings every 30 or so hrs for performance but for safety every 70-80 hrs (some people go more)...

Cost:

for oil changes, the Shell Rotella T 15w40 is cheap and a great oil - approx $10 per gallon

Airfilter cleaning - parts cleaning solvent or mineral spirits, laundry detergent & warm water for 2nd stage of cleaning

Oiling- Maxima FFT filter oil - $10 for a quart, 1 quart does maybe 6-8 airfilters

Piston/ring replacement- somewheres around $150 for a JE piston kit + gaskets, OEM a little cheaper...

Valve shimming - $80 for shim kit

Valve replacement - 65 for seat cutting - 175 or so for Faction MX intake valve kit + OEM exhaust components... maybe $350-400 ish...

You need to lube your chain and check for tension before every ride...

Tires - $67 for a Michelin MH3 tire at rockymountain atv! and a front is $61! can't beat their prices, but everything else is good to get from the TT store...

etc...

Oil changes and a clean air filter are an absolute must. People will debate, but the general consensus seems to be about 5 hours for an oil change, and your air filter depends on the riding conditions, anywhere from every ride to rarely. As far as 30 hours on the valves go, you can go much, much longer if you do your maintenance and keep it off the rev limiter.
Ditto! ?

My experience with my 2006 CRF450R (bought new):

I am not a "Joe Racer." I have put the bike through some paces, but I would consider myself a "mid to back of the pack" "C" rider. I'm on the bike more for the fun/thrill of it than the competition (plus...I just plain suck!) I put the "goon" in goon rider.

I am pretty psycho about maintenance. I change the engine and tranny oil at the same time (always) right around 5 hours. The tranny can go longer, but I'm fine with the extra time/cost to keep it fresh. Sometimes people forget that that is actual engine on, throttle twisting, roosting time. When you consider "actual" riding...five hours is quite a bit of time. I have used RotellaT 15W40 in the bike since new and it's been great ($8.88/gallon at WalMart.) I change my oil filter every oil change. Many folks change their oil filters ever other or every two oil changes. A lot of people have gone with a stainless oil filter...I don't trust them. I'm not saying they don't work, I just can't bring myself to use them. I use the K&N filters. Oil is the life blood of the machine. I'm fine with spending a little extra to keep it as pure as possible. Takes me about 15 - 20 minutes to change both sides (very easy.)

Anyway, changing of the air filter depends on conditions. Just get a good one...the stock one is okay, but you can do better. Buy a spare or two so you alway have one ready.

Valves have been adjusted once (about 10 hours on the bike at the time.) Since then, they have stayed put. I checked them about ever 10 hours at first (or...every other oil change,) but since they haven't moved and I've had no problems starting the bike, I moved that check to about every 15 hours. The rebuild (when needed) will be more expensive than a 2T, but if you treat the bike right until then (and get something newer than an '05...assuming it's been well taken care of,) you shouldn't have to worry about a top end for a looooong time.

I love my 450 and would absolutely do it all over again. Just my two cents...

Thanks guys, that seems like a lot though, I can handle changing the oils and cleaning the air filter, but as far as valves and pistons go I'm not sure I can afford that. How much less work and cost would the cr250 2-stroke be to maintain?

I was on the same type of maintenance schedule you guys are describing (oil every 4 hours and tranny every other oil change) but I was talking to a guy at Maxima and he said that I should really change the tranny as much if not more often than the engine oil. Has anyone else heard this, or is he trying to sell more fluid :naughty:

Thanks guys, that seems like a lot though, I can handle changing the oils and cleaning the air filter, but as far as valves and pistons go I'm not sure I can afford that. How much less work and cost would the cr250 2-stroke be to maintain?
What seems like alot? Changing oil both sides uses up 1 1/2 quarts ($4 if you use Rotella & not high priced Honda oil). The oil filter is every other oil change ($8 or so). Will have to get the valves done after 10 or 15 hours, but unless your bouncing off of the rev limiter all teh time, your valves will stay put for a long time. This does not include chain lube, fork oil etc., but the oil changes cost only $16 for ten hours of riding? I'll bet you will spend that on more fuel on a 2 stroke, or on the cost of the oil itself.

Don't do put yourself through the same things that I did prior to purchasing a four stroke. Everything that was mentioned was very easy to do. This is not rocket science, it's general maintenance. The cost to do your top end when needed will be about $600.00 and that is with a new head. You may or may not need that though. If you do the general maintenance, you can go a couple of years on the OEM equipment. But you have to check your valves and adjust them when needed. Two strokes will need rebuilt more often, after every third race! I will bet that if you do the math, the cost is about the same. The only difference is you are doing less rebuilds, and riding more often with a four stroke. My .02 worth.